Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137033.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 04:54:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Stephen-in-Brannel
National Grid Reference:


ST STEPHEN IN ST STEPHEN SW 95 SW BRANNEL 3/144 Church of St Stephen 10.2.67 GV I

Parish church. C12 origin; rebuilt and enlarged through the C15, the north aisle said to be of 1425, with later C15 additions; the north aisle is dated 1822, at the time of restoration, and the tower bell-openings dated 1893; C19 restoration. Squared granite rubble with granite dressings. Slate roofs with ridge tiles and gable ends with raised coped verges and cross finials. Plan: Nave and chancel in one; the south doorway to the nave is all that remains of the C12 church, which was probably lengthened to east with a C15 chancel. North aisle of 1425, with south aisle and south porch. Later C15 west tower. C20 north vestry. Exterior: The nave has three south windows, all C19, of 2 lights, with cusped ogee lights and square hood moulds; no plinth. The chancel east end is on chamfered plinth, not continuous with the aisle plinths. C15 Perpendicular east window of 4 lights, with cusped lights and Y tracery, 4- centred arch and hood mould. Recessed stone set above and C19 quatrefoil breather. The north aisle is on a chamfered plinth, of 8 bays with the C20 vestry at the east end; this has pitched roof and door, with C19 weathered stack rising from the eaves of the aisle. The east end has 4-light C15 Perpendicular window as on chancel, with quatrefoil breather and datestone with initials, JS, RC, and CW 1822. The west end has 3-light C19 window with cusped lights and squared head, quatrefoil breather above. To north, there is one C19 3-light Perpendicular window with cusped lights, 4-centred arches and hood moulds. Third bay from west has a 4-centred arched doorway with moulded surround, hood mould and relieving arch with C19 plank door. The south aisle is of 3 bays on chamfered plinth. All windows are of C19 reconstruction. To south there are three 3-light windows in Perpendicular style with 4-centred arches and hood mould; second from west a 2-centred arched hollow-chamfered doorway with hood mould and C19 plank door. The west end has similar 3-light window without hood mould and with quatrefoil breather above. The east end has 4-light C19 window with Y tracery and 4-centred arch with hood mould. The south porch has 2-centred arched outer doorway with cast iron gates. Slate sundial with gnomon set over, with nowy head, dated 1806. The interior of the porch has granite paved floor, C19 scissors truss roof. Fine C12 inner doorway, of 2 chamfered orders with round arch in banded dark and pale stone, with imposts; there are roundels carved on the chamfer of each arch with a convex moulded arch over; C19 plank door with fleur de lys strap hinges. The west tower in 3 stages, without plinth, with moulded string courses and set-back weathered buttresses, embattled parapet with large crocketted pinnacles. 4-centred arched west doorway with hollow mouldings, plank double doors with strap hinges of C19. 3-light west window of C15, with unusual tracery with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould. The third stage has 3-light 4-centred arched bell-openings with cusped lights and pierced slate louvres. Second stage to south a cusped lancet and plain lancet. Clock at all sides at the third stage, as a memorial to the 1914-18 War. Rectangular stair tower to north with string courses and lancets. Interior: Plaster removed from all walls except the nave and chancel. Granite paved floor. The nave and chancel have continuous ceiled roof with moulded ribs, carved bosses and wall-plate of C19. North aisle has similar wagon roof with C15 carved wall-plates. 8-bay north arcade with Pevsner A-type piers with 2-centred arches, hollow-chamfered. The east end of the north aisle is used as an organ chamber and vestry, with 2-centred arched chamfered aumbry at the east end. Round-arched hollow- chamfered doorway to north (concealed externally by the C20 vestry). Similar 4-bay south arcade with convex and concave mouldings to 2-centred arches; no indication of a former rood loft. Tall chamfered 2-centred arched tower arch with imposts and C19 Gothic screen across and corbelled inner arch. 2-centred arched hollow-chamferd doorway to the stair tower. Fittings: Fine late C12 stone font in nave, of Bodmin type, with circular bowl with carved beasts and demi-figures at the corners, with four outer shafts and one central shaft. C19 wooden pulpit in the nave incorporating panels of C17 carving. Good C19 Gothic stalls and desks in the chancel with stencilled decorations, matching the screen to north and south. Pair of C19 sanctuary chairs in south aisle with inset tiles in the backs. No early monuments. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SW9449953326


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08754/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Coates. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].