CHURCH OF ST MANARCK AND ST DUNSTAN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MANARCK AND ST DUNSTAN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136993.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:39:59.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MANARCK AND ST DUNSTAN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 18115 56911
SX 15 NE LANREATH LANREATH
7/43 Church of St Manarck and St Dunstan 21/8/64 GV I
Parish Church of Norman origins. Early remains in north transept and north wall of nave. Evidence of part rebuilding of north wall of nave circa C15 indicated in north-west corner of north transept. West tower circa early C15 and south aisle added circa late C15. South porch circa C16. Chancel rebuilt in 1721. North transept and south chancel patronised by Lords of Manors of Lanreath and Botlet. (qv Court Barton and Botelet Cottage). Restored by Bodley in 1887. Coursed stone to tower with plinth and granite string. Coursed stone in south aisle and south porch with differing plinth to tower. Rubble stone chancel, north transept and nave. Slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one with continuous roof. 5- bay south aisle not quite full length of nave. East window C19 5-light Perpendicular tracery under 2-centred arch. C19 4- light window under rectangular hood to north of chancel. 2-light, foiled, rectangular window in east of north transept partly recarved and reset. North window of north transept 3-light window with rounded heads under 3-centred arch, restored and reset. Pointed relieving arch above. Two 4-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches to nave with blocked north door. C19 chimney with octagonal stack. South aisle: east window, 4-light Perpendicular tracery under 4- centred arch; west window 3-light Perpendicular under wide 2-centred arch with hood and drips. 3-light window to west of porch in 4-centred arch with tracery, partly replaced and 3 wide 2-centred arches to east of porch with late reticulated tracery. Hoods and drips. South door low with wide 2-centred arch with chamfered jambs. Gabled south porch with slate roof and 4-centred arch. Sundial at angle above, 1828. Above south door, empty niche under 3-centred arch with 2 corbelled brackets for saints flanking. 4-centred granite arch to south door with roll moulded frame and rectangular surround with incised spandrels. Pointed panelled timber door. West tower of 3 stages with thin set-back buttresses. Battlemented with crocketted finials on octagonal pinnacles. Moulded granite strings. Granite west door in rectangular surround with plain hood, wide 2-centred arch with quatrefoils in spandrels and roll mould. Similar mouldings to type A piers (Pevsner) used for arcade. West window above of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery under 4-centred arch. Partly recarved. 2-light bell opening under pointed arches. Interior: 5-bay arcade to south aisle with type A (Pevsner) granite piers with tall moulded bases and carved engaged octagonal capitals. 4-centred granite arches. Original waggon roofs to porch, nave, chancel, south aisle and north transept. Unusual star shaped bosses to nave. South aisle roof boarded and painted with initials IHS in roundels. Roof to north transept restored. Tower arch almost horse-shoe and heavily moulded. Almost same height as waggon roof. Floor beams in belfry chamfered and stopped. Nave and south aisle largely reseated. Bench ends to east benches on south aisle circa early C17. At east end of nave in crossing, 2 oak stalls, decorated with heraldic shields of Gryles and Beres families and with carved bearded heads circa C16. Incorporated into later work. Chancel choir stalls with similar heraldic shields and figures with renaissance type foliage and fleurs de lis. Benches in Lady Chapel partly recarved. Also with heraldic shields. Rood screen restored by T R Kitsell in 1905. Of 10 bays continuing across chancel and south aisle. Open Perpendicular tracery of 4 lights per bay on panelled carved base. Remains of painted figures of saints, c1520 (Pevsner) in south aisle. Top decorated with carved foliage with renewed coping. Rood screen stairs in north transept east wall.
Norman carved font of Catacleuse stone. Cup shaped bowl decorated with palmettes on round base with platted rope band around waist. Elaborate zig-zag decoration on base. Carved oak cover, C17. Octagonal and decorated with carved renaissance stylised foliage. Monuments; on south wall of chancel monument to Charles Gryles died 1611 and wife and eight sons and daughters. Erected by John Gryles in 1623. Painted timber imitating stonework. Base with atlantes at corners. Kneeling figures of Charles Gryles and wife above flanking inscription and heraldic arms. Corinthian capitals supporting entablature with heraldic arms, cherubs and cartouches. Monument on south wall of Lady Chapel above south door. Recently repainted. In memory of John Gryles, died 1649 and Lady Grace his wide, died 1653. Erected in 1666 and repaired in 1794. Inscription around frame and in roundels. Heraldic arms in centre surmounted by hedgehog. Commandments, Creed and Lord's Prayer on painted boards in chancel. Letter from Charles Rex to Cornish on south aisle. Painted Royal arms, 1660 CR. On board on north wall of nave painted board with Prince of Wales feathers and inscription 16 35 ich dien C P. Glass in chancel north window erected in 1884 in memory of Rector Richard Buller. Font recorded in F A Paley Illustrations of Baptismal Fonts 1844. C Henderson The Cornish Church Guide, 1925 rp.1964 Kellys Directory of Cornwall, 1889. N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970.
Listing NGR: SX1795157066
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Henderson, C, The Cornish Church Guide, (1925)
Paley, F A, Illustrations of Baptismal Fonts, (1844)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1889)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing