This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1135979

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wokingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Sonning

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41208

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 7575 SONNING

14/43 Church Of 26.1.67 St.Andrew

GV II*

Church. Originally Norman. Flint with stone dressings and tile roof. Exterior almost entirely re-built. Perpendicular tower of cheque flint and stone has 3 stages and battlemented parapet. South door has a roll mould surround, over it a Norman window, 2 lancets in an arched surround with a shell shape in typanum. Completely restored in l853, further restorations between l87O-1890. Furnishings almost entirely C19. Original choir screen remains, now used as an organ screen. Delicate tracery at head of each bay and there is a late Perpendicular archway between chancel and the north chapel. Early English nave arcades with rebuilt clerestory. East window decorated. MONUMENTS North Aisle. Monument to Anne Clark wide of Sir John Clark of Walford Co.Warwick. 1653. A bust in a circular niche with architrave surround, side swags, flanking pilasters, broken entablature, segmental pediment with central cartouche of arms, carved base. Adjoining are 2 carved stone armorial monuments. Hidden by the organ is a monument with barley sugar columns. South Aisle. A kneeling figure in niche with drapery, flanking columns on scroll corbels, and arched head. Katherine, Lady Lidcott, 1620.On south wall are some figures from a C16 tomb found during the 1853 restoration. Under the tower - The Rich monument. 4 white marble cherubs carrying a black marble table on which stand 2 large carved urns with inscriptions.Under the table is carved heaped drapery anal a cartouche of arms lying flat: Other monuments include one to William Barker of Sonning, 1758 by Westmacott, brasses to the Barker family, C15, C16 and C17 and one to Lord Stowell,1836. B.O.E.Berkshire p.219-220 V.C.H.Vol.111.p.219-222.

Listing NGR: SU7558875571

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 219-222
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 219-220

National Grid Reference: SU 75588 75571

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 07:46:54.

End of official listing