This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1135795

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, STRATFIELD MORTIMER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Stratfield Mortimer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 40005

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 66 SE 6/13

STRATFIELD MORTIMER Church of St. Mary

GV. II Parish Church. 1869 by Richard Armstrong, vestry added in 1896 by E. Swinfen Harris. Rock faced stone with ashlar dressings, steeply pitched tiled roof with decorative ridge tiles and stone coped gables. Nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north chancel aisle, engaged tower and spire on south east; north and south gabled entry porches at west end; south west vestry.

Windows with geometric tracery, two- and three-lights to nave between two stage buttresses; two-light foiled clerestorey windows. Clasped buttresses to chancel, angle buttresses to north porch and south west end to nave. Single storey vestry with two flying buttresses and pinnacles over square piers at corners.

Tower: in three stages, with moulded and foliated cornice, broached spire above, two tiers of lucarnes and weathervane; stair turret on north east side, in angle with chancel, reaches to second stage with semi-circular conical tiled roof.

Interior: five bay arcades with columns having stiff leaf capitals. Plain arch braced collar roof with braced king posts. Carved stone arcaded reredos with decorative painted panels by O. Connor 1868. Stone piscina and sedilia. Finely carved wood chancel screen; carved stone font with tall carved wood coned cover on long hanging chain. Stained glass in the west window by Clutterbuck some C15 and C17 pieces including heads, in the window behind the organ. Monuments: two brasses to R. Travet and wife 1441 on the south wall of chancel, together with a Saxon stone coffin lid with an inscription referring to Aegelwardus, who died in 1017.

Listing NGR: SU6682664096

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 229
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 144

National Grid Reference: SU 66826 64096

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135795 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 06:07:20.

End of official listing