This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1135772

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Burghfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39993

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUBGHFIEI2I CHURCH LANE SU 66 NE (north west side) Church of 4/9 St. Mary the Virgin II Parish church. 1843 by J.B. Lacey in the Romanesque style, the chancel added in 1892 by Bodley and Garner in the Decorated style. Brick in header bond,stone chancel, stone dressings to doors and windows: steeply pitched slate roof. Wide nave, wide transepts chancel, and west tower; 2 entrance porches in the angles between the tower and nave. 4 bays of round headed windows with stained glass to nave, 2 bays with leaded lights to each transept, 2-light windows with reticulated tracery to nave. Large stone corbel blocks under eaves to nave. Tower in 3 stages, the top stage polygonal with a small squat spire on top, stone arcaded opening at bell stage and stone oculi below. Interior: An C18 wall tablet on the north wall of the north transept, marble with pediment, to Mrs. Mary Robinson who died 1789. A C14 carved wood effigy of Sir Roger de Burfield contained in a glass case in the chancel. Two C15 stone effigies under the tower, believed to be of Neville, Earl of Salisbury and his wife, Alice, both defaced. The font is a large tapering bowl of C12 re-cut C14 in ten-sided form with shallow trefoil- headed panels. Stained glass in east window by Burlison and Grylls. VCH. Vol.III p.403 B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.107.

Listing NGR: SU6709468396

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 403
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 107

National Grid Reference: SU 67094 68396

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135772 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 08:40:29.

End of official listing