CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129810.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 02:37:06.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 49311 68330
ST 46 NE BACKWELL CHURCH LANE (north-west side)
6/21 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 11.10.61 G.V. I
Parish Church (Anglican). C12, altered and enlarged C13, C15; altered C16 and repaired C17. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, north and south chapels; chancel. Coursed, squared rubble with freestone dressings, ashlar tower; lead and stone slate roofs with coped raised verges. West tower: C15, restored 1928; 4 stages with setback buttresses which terminate in clustered pinnacles on the 3rd stage, clustered and setback pinnacles on the 4th stage, terminating in square turrets set diagonally, surmounted by openwork spires; projecting stair turret to north-east which is square on the first stage and half-octagonal above; blocked 2-light windows on second and third stages, cusped heads to tracery and hoodmoulds with lozenge stops, the mullion of the 3rd stage windows has a pierced quatrefoil in a circle at the base (inscription to the left of the 2nd stage window on the west wide); two single-light windows to bell chamber, pierced quatrefoils in arches, 4-centred heads to the windows which are both under a single ogee hoodmould which breaks through the parapet; 5-light west window (restored) with cusped heads to the tracery; west door in moulded surround; south-east buttress bears plaque which reads: "I.B./I.C./C.W./1713". South aisle and chapel: plain parapet; 3 windows all in a Perpendicular style (restored), 4-lights to west and 3-lights to east window; projecting square rood stair turret with embattled parapet; east window has cusped 4-centred heads to the tracery and daggers above; relieving arch over blocked window immediately east of porch; carved gargoyles empty into downpipes with hoppers dated "EIIR/1953". Nave: sanctus bellcote over east gable, crocketed pinnacles. South porch: circa 1300 with embattled parapet and diagonal buttresses; south doorway of 5 orders, ovolo moulding alternating with chamfers - roll moulded hoodmould on small fluted corbel to west. Chancel has angle buttresses and 3-light windows; priest's door in heavy roll moulded surround, hoodmould with carved head stops; restored 3-light Perpendicular style east window. Rodney Chapel: embattled parapet, east gable with trefoil headed window; 3-light restored Perpendicular style window; north doorway in chamfered surround with depressed 4-centred head. North aisle: plain parapet; four 2-, 3- and 4-light windows, all in Perpendicular style; cusped ogee heads to two 4-light westernmost windows; north door in chamfered, 4-centre headed surround. Interior. South porch: blocked door to left (now missing) has a chamfered surround and pointed head, corbel with leaf ornament to right; stoup to right of door with pointed surround; plank and cross battened south door of late C15. Nave: 5 bay arcades, the westernmost part dying into the later west wall, octagonal piers and caps and chamfered, pointed arches. C15 tower arch of 2 wave mouldings. Chancel arch rests on thickened east piers of arcade: sharply pointed arch; carved heads on piers and square squints through piers. Restored Perpendicular style roofs, those of the arcades rest on carved corbel heads; arch-braced roof to nave, with a 2-light dormer window at the south-east corner (possibly to light the rood); two blocked doors to rood stair turret, the lower one has an ogee and hollow moulded surround. Single bay to north and south chapels but no capital to east pier. Single bay chancel: triple sedilia with colonnettes and pointed arches under a linked hoodmould on carved stops, piscina of similar details but with an outer roll moulding which has a fillet; ogee headed niche to left of piscina; two shallow niches on east wall; in the north-east corner is a door with a double ogee moulded surround and a 4-centred head. Rodney Chapel: inscribed and dated 1536, resto red 1933; 3 bay screen of depressed arches with a doorway to the left and two 3-light cusped lights to the right, above are arms and everything is surmounted by a crocketted gable with pinnacles; 2-light trefoil headed squint to right with fragment of C11 carving; inside is a cusped rere-arch to the screen and a roof of 5 cusped transverse ribs. Pulpit is late C19. Font; C12, restored 1907, circular bowl with cable moulding, circular stem with foliate moulding on base. The pews are all 1933. The rood screen is early C16: blank arcaded base with cusped tracery and quatrefoils in circles; pierced tracery to upper part, decorative heads; pointed 4-centred heads to doorways. Brass chandelier, dated 1786. Monuments. Rodney tomb: the effigy is that of Sir Walter Rodney, died 1466 but the tomb chest is mid-C14; 5-bay blank arcade of cusped, ogee headed niches, angels bear arms, band of fleurons above. Rodney Chapel: Elizabeth Harvey, early C17, aedicular with a small obelisk finial; Rice Davis, died 1638, brass and marble plaques, flanked by ashlar terms, moulded frieze and cornice with arms above. North aisle: Joseph Whitchurch, died 1792, by Tyley of Bristol, inscribed marble plaque, a weeping woman rests on an urn; Anthony Biggs, died 1752, marble, broken pediment on brackets; Joseph Hitchman, died 1765, classical marble plaque. South aisle - two to the Simmons family, the lower one 1835, a marble plaque with a draped urn, the upper one with a weeping woman; Charles Biggs, died 1775, marble tablet, flanked by urns. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4931168337
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing