CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1129501
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129501.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:07:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Newton St. Loe
National Grid Reference:
ST 70112 64878

Details

ST 76 SW NEWTON ST. LOE

8/141 Church of the Holy Trinity 1.2.56 II* G.V. Parish Church. C14, altered in C15 (tower) and subsequently; restored with addition of north aisle in 1857 by C.E. Davis of Bath. Consists of west tower, nave, north aisle and north porch, south aisle and south porch, chancel and north organ chamber. Rubble, and coursed rubble with freestone dressings, stone slate roof with coped raised verges. Perpendicular style West tower, of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, ashlar embattled parapet and panelled pinnacles; 3- and 2-light bell chamber windows with stone louvres; 3-light Perpendicular style west window under a moulded hoodmould with pentagonal stops; stair to north-east, square to lower part and polygonal above. South aisle. Blocked west window; 3 heavily restored Decorated style windows in double chamfered arches; squat buttresses. Gabled and projecting south porch with 2-light windows to the sides, under ogee heads; double chamfered outer arch. Chancel. Rebuilt 1857; 2-light Decorated style windows and 3-light C19 east window with reticulated tracery; squat buttresses. North aisle of 1857 has plain ashlar parapet and crocketted pinnacles; 3 Decorated style windows; Norman style doorway to crypt at west end; gabled north porch with tall outer archway. South door in ogee-headed surround with ball flower ornament, restored hoodmould with head stops; decorative ironwork on the door. Interior. Tower arch is double chamfered with half columns and polygonal capitals. North arcade of 4 bays with octagonal piers. C14 south arcade of 4 large and one small bay at the east: piers of 4 half columns and shafts, forming a broad quatrefoil on plan; moulded capitals with ball flower decoration and double chamfered arches. Chancel and roofs of 1857. Font is C19, in an early Gothic style: ashlar, circular bowl with stiff-leaf to underside, cylindrical stem. Pulpit, screen and pews, also 1857, enriched with tracery. Monuments. South aisle. Early C18 Royal Arms. Joseph Langton, died 1701, a very fine monument worthy of James Gibbs (Pevsner), marble, Corinthian columns and central pilaster support on entablature and segmental pediment with putti and urns, gadrooned bases on seraph's heads and full armorial bearings; surrounding the vault are cast iron railings with ball and spear finials. Many other C18 and early C19 marble plaques, especially: Ann Cobb, died 1749, urn on a bracketted cornice, by Hoare; Abel Moysey, died 1780, of coloured marbles, a weeping woman by an urn. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST7011264878

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
32548
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00395/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur A. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].