Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129441.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 21:08:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 71605 62886


ST 76 SW ENGLISHCOMBE 8/86 1.2.56 Church of St. Peter

I G.V. Parish church. Late C12; chancel altered early C14; late C15 alterations to nave and south chapel; restored 1885 and south porch added. Consists of nave, south chapel and south porch, central tower and chancel. Coursed, squared freestone and rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof over nave and lead roof over chancel. Tower of 3 stages on a plinth; thin clasping buttresses to upper 2 stages embattled parapet and pinnacles; single-light opening with cusped head on second stage and 2-light bell-chamber opening with pierced lozenge panels; square projecting stairtower to first stage at north-east. Nave: 2-light clerestorey window on south side with 4-centred heads; 3-light C19 mullion and transom west window in a late Perpendicular style; two 3-light late Perpendicular style north windows under 4-centred heads; buttresses with off-sets between; blocked north door in chamfered and 4-centre headed surround. The rubble-built south chapel has a flat roof concealed behind an ashlar embattled parapet; angle buttresses with off-sets; and a 4-light window with cinquefoil heads and under a square dripmould having lozenge stops. Chancel: corbel table with carved human and beasts' heads, some plain on the north side; 2-light south window with trefoil heads and quatrefoil light above; 3-light east window of reticulated tracery, a continuous string course rises to form angle buttresses over the windows; angle buttresses with off-sets on east end rising to form pinnacles, embattled gable on east end rising to form pinnacles, embattled gable between. South porch of ashlar with an embattled parapet; moulded and pointed doorway. Interior. South chapel has triple chamfered arch from nave; panelled reveals to window and squint to porch formed of 2 ogival triangles; ogee- headed piscina. The tower arches to the nave and chancel have attached half- columns, scalloped capitals, decorative scallops to north-west and monster's face on column at north-east; the arches above are later, double-chamfered and pointed. On north side of tower are 2 arches of a blank arcade decorated with 3-dimensional carving of 2 rows of zig-zag with beading between; columns with cushion, scalloped and carved head capitals; the arcade continues behind the north-west pier of the tower. Chancel: roll moulded inner moulding to windows; scalloped capital at north west; on east face of the tower arch is a mediaeval statue either of the infant Christ or from a tomb. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST7160462886


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00395/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur A. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].