PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1129438
Date first listed:
03-Mar-1961
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129438.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 19:00:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Marshfield
National Grid Reference:
ST 78214 73677

Details

MARSHFIELD C.P. CHURCH LANE ST 7873 14/22 Parish Church of St. Mary 3.3.61

G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12, rebuilt c.1470 in Perpendicular style; restored 1860 by C.E. Davis of Bath, 1887, 1902-03 and north aisle in 1950. West tower: Nave with clerestorey; North and south aisles; Chancel; south porch. Ashlar and coursed squared rubble; Cotswold stone slate roofs, slate to the nave. Tower: 3 stages, diagonal buttresses, open parapet pierced with trefoils and pinnacles, south-east polygonal stair turret; 2-light Perpendicular windows to the bell chamber under hood mould with stops; west door, C19, moulded surround. North aisle: 4 square headed Perpendicular windows of 4-lights with reticulated tracery much restored in 1860; buttresses between; 5-light east window. South aisle: unusual Perpendicular windows of 3-lights, cusped 4-centred heads and embattled transoms fin the tracery, mouchettes; all under a 4-centre head and hood mould; the hood moulds are linked by a string course; projecting window of 5-lights marks a former chantry tomb; blocked priest's door with 4-centred head; buttresses and angle buttresses. South porch: coped gabled porch with saddle stone and cross finial; double chamfered door surround under hood mould; sundial. Chancel: Perpendicular windows similar to those in the south aisle; restored 3-light east window; diagonal buttresses. Interior: Mutilated image niche over south door, C20 statue. C19 Perpendicular style south door with square head, quatrefoils in spandrels. 3 bay Nave, semi-cylindrical shafts alternating with wave mouldings, round moulded capitals; Perpendicular roof on carved corbel heads; easternmost bay of south arcade has blocked round headed window. Chancel arch dies into the wall; 2 choir bays, in part of the space of the former central tower, similar mouldings to the Nave piers; single bay to sanctuary, pillar piscina and late Perpendicular triple sedilia. North chapel: restored Perpendicular pillar piscina. South chapel: mutilated image niche south of the east window; piscina reset over C19 priest's door. Font: C15, octagonal bowl decorated with quatrefoils and shields; restored. Pulpit: Jacobean, restored; carved oak on ashlar base. C17 Holy Table. 1725 Bristol style brass chandelier. Pews with doors of 1860. Screen, 1925 by Sir Harold Brakspear. Monuments. North chapel; aedicular forms to Gibbes, 1723 and Long, 1747, Baroque tablet and cartouche to Gostlett 1692 and 1698. North aisle: Ince children, 1809 by T. King of Bath, tablet with draped urn; William Webb, 1733 and after, engaged Corinthian columns, open segmental pediment, gadrooned base and heraldry. South aisle: Holister, 1821, Greek tablet by Tyley of Bristol; Tyler, 1749, draped arm; Helsam, 1749, cartouche; Bearpacker, 1719, plaque under arms; Briscoe, 1694, cartouche with cherubs under swan neck pediment. Chantry: C. Webb, 1676, Corinthian columns and heraldry; also N. Webb, 1670.

Listing NGR: ST7821473675

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
34434
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01524/10
Rights: Copyright IoE David Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].