Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129121.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 02:19:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 45775 71446


TICKENHAM C.P. CHURCH LANE (north side) ST 47 SE 4/96 Church of St. Quiricus and St. 11.l0.6l Julietta G.V. I Parish church. C11 origin, nave and chancel extended by aisles and south chapel in early C13, also south porch, south chapel probably rebuilt c.1300, south aisle west window and north aisle windows mid C14, C15 alterations and C19 restoration. Limestone rubble, tower and south chapel in sandstone rubble, east end of south aisle and lower west part of tower in limestone ashlar, limestone dressings and parapets, slate roofs with raised coped verges and cross finials. Mostly Decorated style, some Perpendicular. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north vestry, south porch, chancel and south chapel. 3-stage tower has west door with pointed arch, wave and hollow-moulded surround with hood mould, 4-light Perpendicular west window with pointed arch, fine tracery and continuous hood mould, 2nd stage has cusped single light with hood mould to north and south, similar blind 2-light opening to west, 3rd stage has 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery and stone bell louvres to all sides with hood mould and mask stops, below window to east a pointed arched recess with moulded head and hood mould; cornice and gargoyles including anthropophagus to east, blank- arcaded cusped parapet, embattled, with central Perpendicular image niche with ogee hood and crocketed pinnacles, crocketed pinnacles to corners; north east octagonal stair turret with lancets and similar parapet, spire with crocketed ribs, ball finial and weathervane; plinth, string courses, weathered diagonal buttresses. 4-bay south aisle has tall narrow 2-light west window with trefoil heads, quatrefoil above and hood mould, south elevation has from left 3-light Perpendicular window with flat head, hood mould and relieving arch (restored C19), similar early 2-light window and pointed arched 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and mask stops, parapet and blank cusped arcade. 2nd bay from left has gabled porch with trefoil-headed opening, hollow-moulded surround, jamb- shafts with chevrons on capitals, sundial at apex of gable, gnomon missing. 4-bay north aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window with hood mould, limestone quoins, tall trefoil-headed east lancet; along north elevation a similar lancet to right, two 2-light windows with cusped heads, reticulated upper tracery, square heads and hood mould; gabled vestry attached at 2nd bay from left, with door and single trefoil-headed light to east, similar 2-light west window with hood mould, small flat-roofed addition with door and single light. Small ashlar sanctus bellcote of C19 on east gable of nave. Chancel has 3-light east window with wide trefoil heads and upper tracery, plain reveal, two 2-light north windows with trefoil heads. South chapel has taller 3-light east window with relieving arch of stepped cusped lancet lights, similar smaller 2-light south window with quatrefoil in upper tracery cusped lancet to left, both with relieving arch. Interior: tower has pointed segmental arch to west door, pointed arched chamfered door to stair tower, heavy door with raised fillets, C19 framed ceiling in 9 panels, tall pointed tower arch with 2 broad wave mouldings. Nave has 6-bay wagon roof, ceiled with moulded ribs, carved bosses and brattished wall-plate, ridge purlin and one row of purlins; north and south walls cut through for aisles, forming north arcade of 3 pointed chamfered arches with carved stops at bases, 3-bay similar south arcade has east pier with 2 shafts with stiff-leaf capitals carved at west face, carved image stand on east side of north arcade; chancel arch, c.1100, plain round-headed with simple imposts, segmental-headed opening for former rood stair at upper level to right, small lancet (squint) to left. North aisle has 5-bay roof as in nave but of C19 construction, west lancet has irregular pointed rere-arch, wall stepped back above outer curve of stair tower, possibly indicating alteration of original roof-line, 2 windows to east have segmental-headed rere-arches, lancet to west with pointed rere-arch, piscina to east. South aisle has 5-bay roof of very shallow pitch, mostly C19 construction with arched-braces rising from stone mask corbels (one pair replaced in wood), principal rafters, one row of purlins and ridge purlin, along south wall 2 windows to west have cambered rere-arches, central window has recess in cill with remains of quatrefoil piscina, south door in plain pointed arched reveal. Vestry of C19. Porch has C19 arched-brace and collar roof, inner door has roll-moulding and chamfer, pointed arch, hood mould and mask stops, 2 consecration crosses on jamb to right, small image niche above, holy water stoup to right with octagonal bowl, stone benches to sides. Chancel has 4-bay wagon roof with moulded ribs of C19, rear of rood stair extends wall masonry to south of arch, recess to north possibly for former squint, north windows have segmental rere-arches, pointed arched piscina to east, 2 similar arches cut through south wall to chapel. Chapel also has masonry extending around roof stair, 4-bay wagon roof of early construction with fine bosses, restored cusped piscina on south wall, pointed rere-arches to windows; was formerly the Bave Chapel after the Bave family of Barrow Court (q.v.). Fittings: font in south aisle of c.1300, a square bowl with blank trefoiled pointed arch-heads, central shaft and four slimmer Purbeck shafts. Hexagonal Jacobean carved wooden pulpit in nave. Royal Arms over chancel arch. Chancel altar and chapel altar supported by columns of Elton ware, gift of Sir Edmund Elton, 1895. Oak screen across south chapel of 1911. Row of 3 effigies in north aisle, 2 knights, one of c. 1240-50, the other cross-legged later C13, and a lady of c.1300. Monument in south chapel, with Ionic pilasters, pediment, shield over and cherub below, to Samuel Bave, undated, by M. Sidnell of Bristol, active early C18; C18 ledger stones in chapel and early C19 ledger stones in nave, also possible matrix of brass; marble monument in porch to John Hillyard, 1842, by J. Thomas of Bristol. Small early C14 stained glass figures of Christ Crucified and Christ in Majesty in south aisle, also later C14 fragments in north aisle windows. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4577471449


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03211/03
Rights: Copyright IoE John Boothroyd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].