CHURCH OF ST MARY PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1128789
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Dec-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CASTLE STREET
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128789.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 08:14:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CASTLE STREET
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Thornbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 63400 90620

Details

THORNBURY CHURCH ROAD 4/23 ST 6390 (north side) 30.3.60 Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin (formerly listed as Church of St Mary) GV I C12 origins, altered in C14, C15 and C16. Restored 1848 by Francis Niblett West tower circa 1540 (restored 1889 by F W Waller). Nave, north and south aisles, 2 storey south porch (all late C15). Chancel circa 1340 and south (Stafford) chapel, late C14. Coursed rubble with ashlar blocks (particularly in the tower). Ashlar south chapel. Cotswold stone slate roof. Tower: 4 stages; diagonal buttresses; very fine pierced battlements and open turrets (as St Stephen's, Bristol and Dundry). South porch: 2 storeys; C14 doorway, 2 centred arch; 1764 sundial above (restored circa 1953) blank arcaded parapet with central niche. South door: Heavily rstored transitional/Norman arch with dogtooth, on Early English shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. C19 decorative ironwork on door. Embattled parapets with finials to nave and aisles. Norman/Transitional north door with roll moulds. Numerous heraldic badges on stops to hood moulds. Interior: Clerestoried Nave of 6 typical Perpendicular bays. North aisle has square headed windows. South aisle has 4-centred arch headed windows with 'bisected drop' tracery. 1848 roof. Chancel arch and east window are C19. South wall has decorated piscina and triple sedilia, all under cinquefoil arch. Perpendicular pulpit approached by Victorian stair. Norman/Transitional front. Victorian glass by Thomas Willement, 1840's and 1850's. Monuments. North chancel, Sir John Stafford 1624. Brass in chancel to Tyndalls, 1571, only wife's survive. South chapel, in Perpendicular recess is 1648 to Roger Fowke. Other C17 and C18 tablets in the aisles, especially John Atwells, 1729. Sources: "Buildings of England, Glos: The Vale (Verey)".



Listing NGR: ST6340090619

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
34925
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02756/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].