CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1127895
Date first listed:
31-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127895.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:37:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Shelford
National Grid Reference:
TL 45872 51872

Details

TL 4551, 19/62

GREAT SHELFORD, CHURCH STREET (north side), Church of St. Mary

31.8.62

I

Parish church of C12 and C14 origins, but almost completely rebuilt in early C15 by Reverend Thomas Patesley, d.1411. In 1798 the west tower collapsed and was rebuilt further to the east within the nave. In C19 the chancel and the fenestration of much of the church was restored. Coursed limestone, dressed clunch, clunch rubble, flint and pebblestone. Low pitched, embattled roof. Plan of west tower, nave, north and south aisles and chancel. West tower incorporates old materials. Three stages with octagonal bell stage. Embattled with needle spire. West window of clunch, three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery. Newel staircase in north west angle. The windows of the clerestorey and the south aisle have been restored in C19 with Ketton stone in perpendicular style. The south porch, C15, has a parish room above. Embattled with two-stage diagonal buttressing. Original niche with modern sculpture above restored outer archway. Rib vaulted interior with bosses, including a pelican.

INTERIOR: Nave now of four bays. Two-centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with typical high bases and moulded capitals. Moulded labels with mask stops, some of angels. Chancel arch of similar date, and with a rood loft staircase opening to the north. The nave roof is C15 and of alternating tie beam and hammer-beam construction. Above the chancel arch is a C15 wall painting of the Doom. In the south aisle is a C14 piscina with trefoil arch opening. The pulpit is 1636, oak. The tester and staircase are original. There are early C17 wall monuments in the north and south walls of the chancel and a brass to Thomas Patesley, d.1411 in the chancel floor.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p.396; R.C.H.M: record card; V.C.H: (Cambs) Vol. VII p.

Listing NGR: TL4587251872

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
51467
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 396
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/14871/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].