PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1127430
Date first listed:
31-Aug-1962
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Aug-1984
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127430.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:13:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Fen Ditton
National Grid Reference:
TL 48267 60371

Details

TL 4860-4960 FEN DITTON CHURCH STREET (West Side)

18/1 Parish Church of 31.8.62 St Mary Virgin (formerly listed as GV Church of St Mary)

II*

Parish Church. North aisle c.1300 and chancel. Nave arcades, clerestoreys, south aisle and south porch C15. Church restored in 1881 by J.L. Pearson (1817-97), and in 1888-9. West tower rebuilt reproducing early C13 details. Walls of flint and limestone, some reused medieval stone with Barnack limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs of lead. South elevation. Aisles extended westward to face of tower. Tower of three stages with plain parapet and moulded plinth with small, lead covered, spirlet. Two-light belfry window with quatrefoil in two-centred arch. South aisle and porch with plain parapets and grotesque gargoyles. Porch centrally positioned, partly rebuilt with tall C19, two-centre arched opening with attached shafts and moulded capitals and bases, doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred inner and square outer arch with quatrefoils in spandrels. Aisle bays with buttresses at angle and to west quoin. East and west windows with cinquefoil-lights in four-centred arches. Four clerestorey windows of two trefoiled-lights and blocked rectangular opening possibly a light to the rood loft. Chancel of three buttressed bays with three windows, each with two trefoiled-lights, the west window with transome and rebated jambs to lower lights for shutters of 'low-side' window. Interior: Nave arcades of four bays and chancel arch C15, with two-centred arches of two wide hollow- and double-ogee- moulded orders, attached shafts and semi-octagonal moulded capitals and bases. Tower arches rebuilt of two chamfered orders with semi-octagonal responds, moulded capitals and chamfered bases. Label to eastern arch with dog-tooth ornament. Matching pair of C14 niches in chancel with ogee - cinquefoil heads and traces of colour. Nave roof C15, of four bays with braced king posts, moulded tie beams with curved braces to wall posts. C15 pair of niches in south aisle and piscina. Piscina in chancel masked by later string. C14 scissor-braced chancel roof. North and south aisle roofs C15, of five bays with moulded principal rafters and purlins. Door to south aisle medieval, cased in modern wood. Font with octagonal bowl and quatrefoil panels late C14. For monuments and floor slabs see R.C.H.M. report. Stained glass in south aisle east window by Kempe, 1898. East window by Clayton and Bell, 1881. Pulpit and lectern 1876, organ 1877. R.C.H.M.: East Cambs p.50, mon. 1. Pevsner: Buildings of England p.383. Hill, A.G. Arch notes of Churches of Cambs. 1880 p. 205 description before restoration Relhan, R. (1754-1823) Watercolour, west view of church C.A.S. collection Harrison, R. Hist of Fen Ditton 1956.

Listing NGR: TL4826760371

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
50552
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, R, History of Fen Ditton, (1956)
Hill, A G , Architectural Notes of Churches of Cambridgeshire, (1880), 205
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 383
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00668/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Linton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].