Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127027.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:30:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 56604 86934


LITTLEPORT CHURCH LANE TL 5686 17/1 Church of St George 5.2.52 - II*

Parish church. C14-C15. Alterations and additions of 1857 by Teulon include a new north nave and aisle parallel to the original. Mainly rubblestone with some brick and fieldstone. Limestone dressings. Slate roofs. Plan of west tower, double nave with north and south aisles, south chapel and chancel. West tower of four stages with embattled parapet, rebuilt in brick, and moulded plinth. Four stage angle buttressing and embattled half octagonal newel staircase with quatrefoil lights to each stage. Open ground stage of tower blocked in 1857 with doorway made in south wall. Two centred arch with two wave and one ogee order. West window of three cinquefoil lights in four centred arch, restored. There is a two cinquefoil light window to the second stage and the bell stage has in each wall three cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. Nave is embattled. Original clerestorey on south side of four windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. The south porch is C14-C15, much rebuilt. Gabled roof with end parapet on moulded stone kneelers. Diagonal buttressing and four centred outer arch, restored, of two hollow moulded orders, the inner on engaged shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The inner doorway has a two centred arch of two continuous wave mouldings divided by a cavetto. Chancel has a window in south wall of three cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. South doorway with similar four centred chamfered arch. The east window is C19 of five cinquefoil lights in two centred arch with original moulded label and large demi-angel stops. The C19 nave addition on the north by Teulon is of similar materials. Clerestorey of six windows each of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arches. The north aisle is embattled and has four windows each of three cinquefoil lights in four centred arch and one window at east end with two similar lights. The north porch is gabled and has a parapet. The outer arch is two centred and has three moulded orders, the inner on engaged shafts to the responds. There is a stone louvre to the east end of the north aisle. Interior: Earlier west tower wall has C15 arch with outer hollow moulded order dying in the piers. The inner order is on an engaged shaft to the respond with moulded capitals and high base. The nave arcade is in four bays. Two centred arches of two moulded orders the outer continuous, on piers of lozenge section. The inner wave moulding is carried on engaged shafts with moulded capital and a high base. The roof is C19. Hammer beam type with braced collars and a king post to each truss. There are angels to the soffits of the intermediate purlins. The chancel arch is similar to that of the nave arcade. The chancel has a piscina in the south wall. Four centred chamfered arch. The roof again is C19 and also of hammer beam construction, but the jackposts are carried on original corbels carved with demi-angels. There is a four centred arch of two moulded orders leading from the chancel to the south chapel. Part of a rood loft staircase remains south of the chancel arch. The north nave of 1857 by Teulon has, on the north side, an arcade in six bays with pier profiles similar to those of the C15 work. The four clerestorey windows of the C15 nave remain but are unglazed. The roof is in six bays and has queen posts on braced tiebeams with a king posh to the collar. At the west end of the nave there are three C16 pews with original moulded rails and bench ends with finials carved with poupee heads and one with a shield. The font is C15. Limestone. Octagonal with quatrefoil to a panel in each side. On an octagonal stem with moulded base. At the west end of the south aisle is a large iron bound chest with the date 1672.

Pevsner: Buildings of England, p429 V.C.H. Cambs. vol. IV

Listing NGR: TL5660486934


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 429
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/03068/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steven Upshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].