This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1124282

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Boarstall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42386

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 61 SW 5/5

BOARSTALL MAIN ROAD Church of St. James

21.12.67

GV

II*

Parish church. Rebuilt 1818 with alterations of 1884. Rendered nave and chancel with slate roofs, later C19 W. vestry and S. porch with some coursed rubble stone and ashlar dressings. Off-set buttresses. W. wall of nave has 2-light traceried window, small lancet above, and W. vestry with shallow gable. 2 bays of 2-light stone windows with arched lights and Tudor hoodmoulds to N. and S., the S. side also having late C19 shallow porch with moulded arches. Bell-cote with cusped niche at E. end of nave. Chancel has moulded parapet, and 3-light traceried E. window. Interior: nave has 4-centred vault with narrow moulded wooden ribs and cornice. Moulded arch to vestry. Moulded 4-centred arch to chancel. Fittings: good late C17 pulpit with arcaded panels, split baluster ornament and moulded sounding board. C17 table with baluster legs and ornamental frieze. A little C17 panelling at E. end of nave. Other fittings and glass C19, one window signed "Alex. Gibbs". Monuments: S. wall of chancel has re-used C15 tomb-chest with 3 cusped roundels and shields, incorporated into monument to two wives of Sir John Aubrey, early C19, in Gothick style. Monument to Sir John Aubrey 1826 on N. wall is in similar style. Marble tablet to Patty Mary Aubrey d.1774. Other later monuments to members of the Aubrey family. RCHM I p. 57.

Listing NGR: SP6248214164

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SP 62482 14164

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124282 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 06:11:40.

End of official listing