CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1122201
Date first listed:
10-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH GREEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122201.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:22:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Chelmsford (District Authority)
Parish:
Danbury
National Grid Reference:
TL 77930 05119

Details

TL 7705 DANBURY CHURCH GREEN

719/29/60 Church of St John the Baptist

10.04.67 I

A stone rubble church with stone dressings with a square west tower with a castellated parapet, outer diagonal buttresses and a shingled spire set back behind the parapet, considerably restored. The roof is tiled. The church is possibly of C 12 origin but the earliest part of the present church is the base of the north arcade which is circa 1233. The nave, south arcade and west tower are of the C14. The steeple was first built in the C15. The church was extensively restored by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1866 and again in 1952 after bomb damage in 1941. The roof of the north aisle is of the C 14 and has a castellated wall plate carved with effigies of Kings and Queens of the period, probably the Edwards. There is a squint from the north aisle of the chancel. 4 of the back pews in the nave, (north side) are original, with poppy heads and carved with various beasts on the shoulders. The remaining pews are copies by Sir G G Scott. The north aisle has 4 late C 13 windows with 2 arched recesses below containing oak effigies of Knights in armour with crossed legs indicating either crusaders or church builders. The armour suggests a date between 1272 and 1307. An effigy in the south aisle is of a slightly later date. They probably represent members of the St Clere family who endowed the church and rebuilt the north aisle. The gallery to the bell platform has a railing of circa 1600, part of the Jacobean altar rail removed from the church during the Commonwealth, (RCHM 1 ). Bibliography. 6790 (Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England), An Inventory of Essex South East, 1923, Vol4



Listing NGR: TL7793005119

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
112484
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/14815/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].