Church of St Peter

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1121945
Date first listed:
21-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Castleton Road

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121945.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:47:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Castleton Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
Parish:
Hope
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 17229 83470

Details

SK 18 SE 7/69

PARISH OF HOPE CASTLETON ROAD (south side) Church of St Peter

21.04.67

GV I Church. Early C14, C15, 1728-30 and 1881-82. Gritstone ashlar, stainless steel roof hidden behind parapets. West steeple, nave with north and south aisles and south porch and chancel.

West tower of three unequal stages, divided by chamfers. Angle buttresses to west two stages with set offs. Two-light west window with cusped Y-tracery. Crude two-light bell openings. Squat stone broach spire with entasis, rising from the edges of the tower. The tower is said to have been rebuilt in 1728.

Aisles, clerestory and south porch C15 and of a unified design, all topped with battlements and crocketed pinnacles. Two three-light windows with panel tracery to north and south aisles and similar windows at the east and west ends of the aisles. Also a plain doorway with wave moulding on the north side and a two storey porch on the south side with polygonal stair turret on the south east corner. Porch entrance with two orders of wave mouldings. Cusped ogee vaulted niche above with C19 figure. Many large gargoyles. Clerestory windows of two cusped lights under square heads.

The chancel was rebuilt in 1881-82 with a poor Perpendicular style east window, side windows of two ogee lights under square heads and with battlements and pinnacles. The interior of the porch has stone seats, that on the east side interrupted by a Perpendicular doorway to the stair turret. South door with two orders of wave mouldings. C19 studded oak door on top of an older door.

Four bay nave arcades with polygonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Plain double-chamfered tower arch and former roof line visible above. Piscina and sedilia of c.1300 in the chancel. C14 piscina in the south aisle. At the west end of the north aisle, two C13 foliated cross slabs. Three C17 chairs, two in the chancel and one in the north aisle. C17 altar rails. Pulpit dated 1652. Panelling in chancel and stall backs in nave made up from old box pews inscribed with numerous late C16 and early C17 dates. Panelled C18 dado in aisles inscribed with names and dates. Rare, painted hymn board dated 1806 with painting of David on the back. Two C18 charity boards. Painted board recording work done in 1730. Font with a C12 bowl. Two framed paintings above the south door, dating from 1733 and depicting 'Aaron' and 'life'. Two more above the north door depicting 'Moses' and 'Death'. Marble and alabaster reredos of 1910 containing a vestry behind, an unusual motif copied from Tideswell and Sawley. Chancel screen 1935. Much stained glass including the north aisle east and north east windows of 1919 by F.C Eden and chancel windows by Kempe. South aisle window by Kempe.

Listing NGR: SK1722983470

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82529
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04258/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Paul Cutts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].