Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119840.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 06:45:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dorset (Unitary Authority)
West Stafford
National Grid Reference:
SY 72551 89626



16/191 Church of Saint Andrew 26.1.56


Anglican parish church. C15 origin, tower C16, body of church rebuilt 1640. Chancel extended 1898 - architect C Ponting. Coursed rubble stone walls, stone slate roofs with coped gables. Nave and chancel with no structural division, south porch, west tower. Tower of 2 stages, with diagonal buttresses and moulded plinth. Battlemented parapet with string courses at parapet base and belfry floor level. Plain 2-light rectangular belfry windows. Semi-octagonal stair turret on north. In south wall of nave, west of porch, a C15 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery, and hoodmould. Porch has date stone - 1640. Simple chamfered pointed arched opening. Inner doorway with depressed 4-centred arch and battened oak door. East of porch, 2 buttresses. One 3-light square headed window with arched lights and hoodmould. One 2-light square headed window with cinquefoiled lights and hoodmould. Date stone east of this, inscribed R R SONN OFRR, 1640. In south wall of chancel a C19 three-light square headed window with concave arched lights. East window, re-set of 3 lights with perpendicular tracery. 3 buttresses to north wall. North chancel window matching that on south. West of this a plain 2-light square headed window with hoodmould, a 3-light square headed window with arched lights, a blocked doorway with depressed 4-centred arch, and a 2-light square headed window with hoodmould. Internally, walls plastered. Shallow segmental plastered ceiling with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Additional secondary ribs in chancel. Late C17 altar rails. On north wall a recumbent effigy 1895, of Canon R Smith. C17 chancel screen with central segmental arch. On north side, 5 round arched openings divided by cols. On south side, columns replaced by pendants to accommodate reading desk. Panelled oak C17 pulpit with sounding board. C17 pews with panelled and carved ends. Fragments of C17 painted texts on walls. C18 west gallery, with painted Royal Arms of James I. On north wall, monument to John Gould, 1727, in classical style - the pediment cutting into ceiling. On south wall, monument to Richard Russell, 1638 in classical style. Simple octagonal font, probably C15. Fittings of particular interest. (RCHM Monument 1. Dorset Vol II)

Listing NGR: SY7255189626


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/07723/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Claire Onions. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].