This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1119662

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Standon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469133

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ83NW ECCLESHALL COTES HEATH

953/4/10033 Church of St James

II Anglican church. 1837-38, with a chancel of 1891 by C. Lynam. Of coursed sandstone, the church retains its original plain tile roof and ridge tiles. In plan it is reminiscent of eighteenth-century examples, with a rectangular, unaisled, 3-bay nave, south porch and north vestry; it has a bellcote to the west end and crosses to the east ends of nave and chancel. The south porch has a pointed arched entrance and pointed plank doors within with decorative ironwork (the doors were added to celebrate Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1897). There are two 3-cusped-light, straight-headed windows to each side, and this design has been repeated to the east end; to the west is a 3-light mullion and transom window, and the north vestry has a 2-light mullion window, all with chamfered mullions, hoodmoulds and coloured glass, the East window is a memorial to the First World War with glass by J.Wipp...Ltd. Of Exeter and London. Internally, the nave roof has three queen post trusses with braces and extended sole plate on corbels and exposed purlins. A chamfered, pointed arch leads to the chancel which has a decorative tile floor and roof with collar beam and carved braces to principal rafters, on corbels, otherwise exposed rafters and one level of purlins. The furnishings remain to the nave, which has a Neo Norman font and simple benches, and chancel which retains its traceried altar rails. The church was erected in memory of Theodosia Hincks (benefactor) and Henry Moore, Vicar of Eccleshall (1822-57) and Archdeacon of Stafford. -



Listing NGR: SJ8337935043

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 83379 35043

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119662 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 10:40:37.

End of official listing