This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1118116

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wokingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Barkham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41518

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARKHAM CHURCH LANE SU 76 NE (east side) 9/38 Church of St. James 26.1.67 G.V. II Parish church. 1862 by John B. Clacy and son, in the Early English style, on an old site; chancel and transepts 1887. Flint with stone dressings, tiled, coped, gabled roof. Chancel, north and south transepts, north vestry, and nave with a south tower. The tower is in 3 stages; the lower stage has set-back buttresses and serves as a porch. The top stage is of wood and has a small octagonal shingled spire. The windows are pointed and trefoiled. Interior:- the nave has 5 bays of arch braced collar trusses with nailhead ornament, and several C18 memorial slabs in the floor. The font is stone and late C18. In a recess on the east wall of the porch is a late C13 oak effigy of a lady in a long loose dress and linen head-dress. Both the hands are missing and the face is damaged. V.C.H. Yol III p.240. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.75.

Listing NGR: SU7840566430

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 240
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 75

National Grid Reference: SU 78405 66430

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 08:41:51.

End of official listing