CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1117033
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117033.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 10:33:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Hart (District Authority)
Parish:
Greywell
National Grid Reference:
SU 71841 50972

Details

SU 75 SW GREYWELL

8/73 Church of St Mary The Virgin 24.11.61

- II *

C12, C13, C15, 1870. A small aisleless nave and western tower of Norman date, and a chancel restored (rebuilt) 1870. Red tile roof, lower over chancel. Walls are stone quoins, cement plinth, the chancel being of flint with stone dressings, a rood stair (c1500) projects on the north side as a semicircular turret with chequered walling of white stone and flint. Early English, Perpendicular and Victorian Decorated windows. Norman north doorway has dogtooth ornament, and a blocked south doorway. The tower has massive brick corner buttresses and some brick walling (late Cl7); the bell chamber and pyramid roof being clad in shingles. Inside there is a fine rood screen (c1500) on a later stone-walled base, a good octagonal C15 font, and Royal Coat of Arms of 1768. The north porch is Victorian, with a tiled gabled roof, a timber frame, with stone base.

Listing NGR: SU7153751279

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
136602
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/02404/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Rebecca Swann. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].