PARISH CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1115013
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115013.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:58:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tortworth
National Grid Reference:
ST 70432 93335

Details

ST 79 SW TORTWORTH

2/108 Parish Church of St. Leonard

G.V. II*

Parish church (Anglican). C12; altered and extended C14 and C15; heavily restored in 1872 by R.H.-Carpenter and W. Slater in a Perpendicular style. West tower; nave; south aisle and south chapel; north porch; chancel and vestry. Coursed squared rubble with freestone dressings; plain tiled roofs with coped raised verges. West tower: C15, 4 stages with diagonal buttresses; pierced, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles (all 1870's); projecting south east stair turrent; 2-light bell chamber openings, mullioned and transomed, with pierced quatrefoils; 3-light west window and door. Nave: all c.1872; two 3-light Perpendicular style windows. North Porch: dated 1853 with the arms of Oriel College, Oxford inside; gabled projecting porch with diagonal buttresses and crocketed pinnacles; image niche. South aisle and south chapel: c.1872: three 3-light Perpendicular style windows, 4-light east and west windows; blocked south door with moulded 4-centred head. Chancel: 5-light east window; 2 storey vestry projects as gabled north wing, diagonal buttresses and pinnacles. Interior. 4 bay arcade to south aisle and a further bay to the south chapel, clustered shafts with hollow moulding, 4-centred arches, image niche on easternmost pier of aisle arcade. Font: C12, scalloped octagonal bowl on cylindrical shaft, C17 cover. Pulpit: c.1872 in a Perpendicular style. Glass: reassembled mediaeval fragments in east window of north chapel, c.1472, Edward IV with angels, sun in splendour badge and symbols of the Passion; east window c.1872 by Powell. Organ: in a Perpendicular style, 1895, in memory of Julia, Countess of Ducie. Monuments. South chapel: Thomas Throckmorton, died 1568, ashlar tomb chest and canopy, in a mixture of Renaissance and late Gothic styles, pilasters, entablature and segmental pediment, shell heads to niches, depressed and ogee arches, much heraldry and loose C17 armour; Thomas Throckmorton, died 1607, alabaster effigy on tomb chest against a richly sculptured background of strapwork and symbols, framed by Corinthian columns and entablature with moulded cornice and heraldic finials, all surmounted by flamboyant arms with aedicule of paired Corinthian columns, obelisk finials and cresting; oak chest of 1896 to Ducie family, Art Nouveau lettering on copper. Chancel: Henry Brooke, died 1757, marble, broken pediment and arms; John Frewen, died 1767, marble classical tablet. Nave: Dorothy Trenchard, died 1661, plaque with angels; 3rd Baron Ducie, died 1808, marble plaque in strapwork surround; Clement Lapley, died 1756, grey and white marble, classical; John Bosworth, died 1783, by Wood of Bristol, plain plaque with urn; Rachel Matthew, died 1761, marble, pediment and arms. South aisle: arms of George I; 1st Baron Moreton, died 1735, baroque, fluted Ionic columns, open pediment, enriched surrounds and arms. (Verey D, The Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, the Vale and Forest of Dean, 1070).

Listing NGR: ST7043293335

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
34741
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06866/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Pountney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].