CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1112358
Date first listed:
21-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, ICKLETON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112358.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 02:01:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, ICKLETON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Uttlesford (District Authority)
Parish:
Elmdon
National Grid Reference:
TL 46194 39663

Details

ELMDON ICKLETON ROAD 1. 5222 (north side) Church of St Nicholas TL 4639 31/221 21.2.67

II* GV

2. A flint and rubble church with a C15 west tower, the rest of the building was rebuilt, probably on the old foundations in 1852 and 1879 and restored in the early C20. It was rebuilt in the C14-C15 style. The west tower has a modern parapet top and has been considerably restored. The fittings include a good late C16 marble altar tomb with a panelled canopy and an inscription to Thomas Meade, Justice of Common Pleas 1585. There are also 2 C16 brasses. The church forms the central feature of the village. It is graded for its topographical value and internal features. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TL4619439663

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
121725
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/10909/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dominic Davey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].