Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111302.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 15:13:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Epping Forest (District Authority)
High Ongar
National Grid Reference:
TL 56522 03765


TL 50 SE HIGH ONGAR THE STREET, 7/7 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 20.2.67


Parish Church. Mid C12 and Mid C13 with C19 extensions and restoration. Coursed and uncoursed flint rubble, with limestone and clunch dressings. South tower is in grey brick. Red plain tile roof. Mid C12 nave has 2 north windows of C12 with semi-circular heads, one C13 window with one tre-foiled light, and early C14 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights in 2 centred head with moulded jambs and mullions and a chamfered 2 centred rear arch. C12 north doorway with semi- circular arch of one plain order and moulded imposts. 4 windows on south wall, one each C12, C13 and early C14, matching those contemporary on the north wall and one early C16 windows, with double chamfered jambs and a square head. C12 south doorway, of 2 orders, the outer is semi-circular with chevron ornament and an axe marked and billeted label. The inner order has a segmental arch with chevron ornament supporting a tympanum of 4 courses of stonework set radially and ornamented with formy crosses in circular and rough foliage. The outer order of the jambs has shafts with moulded bases and scalloped capitals and moulded abaci. The inner order has twin shafts worked on the inner face with scalloped capitals, necking of cable ornament and moulded abaci. West wall has 2 lowset windows largely C19, and C19 west doorway. Mid C13 Chancel, is undivided from nave, and has 3 original lancet windows in east wall, restored externally, but with internal splays having attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases and chamfered rear arches. 3 north windows, one C15 extensively restored in C19, but retaining original splays and hollow chamfered segmental rear arch. Two C13 lancets with external chamfers. 3 south windows, one which matches the restored C15 window and one matching the north lancets. The western window is also of C15, with 3 lights. C17 north door, with chamfered brick jambs and segmental arch. Plain stone bond externally. North vestry was added in 1885. Square grey brick south tower added in 1858. In 3 stages, with angle buttresses and 2 centred moulded arch to south doorway. Bell chamber has louvred windows with 2 centred heads. 7 cant Chancel roof with moulded wall plates of early C15. The nave has slightly cambered tiebeams, and octagonal crownposts with moulded bases and capitals, all C15. Brass in Chancel, circa 1510. C17 moulded communion rail with turned balusters. East window has stained glass of circa 1536, bearing the arms of Jane Seymour, with the initials I.R. and the arms of Henry VIII with initials H.I. Blackand White marble tablet with pilasters, cornice and four shields of arms, dedicated to Richard Stone 1714. C17 floor slabs in chancel. C19 pulpit and reading desk incorporating panels with arabesque ornament. Piscina in chancel, of C13 with chamfered jambs and 2 centred head. Piscina in nave, with ogee head, of C14. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TL5652203765


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02583/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andrew Pepper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].