Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110434.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Aug-2020 at 12:26:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Dorset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 81646 15049



5/62 Church of St Nicholas 4.10.60 GV I

Parish Church. Chancel early C13, nave and north aisle C14, west tower probably dated 1534, aisle shortened and nave windows inserted C17, porch C19, general restoration and north vestry 1885. (There is some disagreement over dating - see RCHM and Newman and Pevsner). Coursed, squared rubble, rubble brought to courses and ashlar dressings. Tiled, gable-ended roofs, some with stone copings. Plan: nave; chancel; west tower; north aisle, north vestry and south porch. West tower: 3 stages separated by strings; octagonal vice turret; embattled parapet; parapet string bears gargoyles; diagonal buttresses to first 2 stages; west door under moulded, 4-centred arch in square surround with label having shield stops; west window of 3-lights under 2-centred head with panel tracery and returned label under a relieving arch; 2nd stage has rectangular west window; 3rd stage has 2-light panel tracery windows under 2-centred heads with pierced stone panels. South nave wall has 3 probably C17 'Y-tracery' windows under 2-centred heads with returned labels. North and south chancel walls have lancets, those of the south wall flanking a 2-centred, chamfered door. East chancel window of 3 graduated lancets under a relieving arch, it bears an inscription 'THES.YEU.TREES.SETT.1690'. Vestry has paired lancets. Aisle has possibly reused lancets and an eastern 2-centred door. Gabled south porch with 2-centred chamfered arch. South door has moulded 2-centred head and continuous jambs. Interior features: 2-centred chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into flat jambs; 2-centred tower arch with blind tracery soffits; 3 bay aisle arcade of 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders continuous with piers and responds; west bay of aisle blocked; mid C14 (once external) window of 3-lights under 2-centred head with transitional decorated/perpendicular tracery between a and vestry; Cl9 triplet above chancel arch; squint from aisle to chancel; C17, ribbed, plaster barrel-vaulted roof with tie beams; Cl9 boarded barrel-vault to chancel; flat plastered aisle ceiling; 4-centred, chamfered tower vice doorway; trefoiled piscina in chancel; hemi- cylindrical wall monument to Grace Morris, 1688/9 in chancel with flame finial and urn, flowered side pilasters and spherical base on cherub headed bracket; some early glass; pews, pulpit and font Cl9. RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p 143/4, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner and N, The Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 266.

Listing NGR: ST8164715048


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 143-144
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 266


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15481/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].