CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1110263
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE CROSS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110263.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Aug-2020 at 11:24:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
North Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Child Okeford
National Grid Reference:
ST 83553 12750

Details

ST 8312 9/5

CHILD OKEFORD THE CROSS Church of St Nicholas

4-10-60

GV II* Parish church, late 15 or early C16 west tower. Remainder of fabric 1850 and 1878-79. Chancel refitted 1911. 1878-9 work by T.H Wyatt. Chancel refit by Wippell and Co. Tower in greensand ashlar. Remainder of church in flint with stone and ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs with stone copings.

Plan: nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south chapel and north chapel/organ chamber/vestry. Tower: two stages with plinth and embattled parapet; south vice turret; diagonal four-stage buttresses; corner gargoyles to parapet string; moulded four-centred west doorway in square surround with cusped spandrels and returned label; pointed five-light Perpendicular west window with returned label; two-light, square headed belfrey windows with Perpendicular tracery and wooden louvres; five-light, Perpendicular, pointed south aisle, west window.

South aisle, south windows of two lights with square heads, perpendicular tracery and returned labels. South aisle, east window of three lights with pointed head and returned label. Chancel south wall has two pointed two-light windows with curvilinear tracery and returned labels. East chancel window of five-lights with Perpendicular tracery and returned Libel. North chapel/organ chamber/vestry windows are of one and two lights with Perpendicular tracery and square heads with returned labels. The east wall window is of two lights with a pointed head and Perpendicular tracery. It may be C15 reset. The north aisle, north wall windows are of two and three lights with curvilinear tracery under square heads with returned labels. The west wall window is pointed with three lights and Perpendicular tracery. The south porch is gabled with a pointed, moulded doorway and C19 sculptured figures in the apex.

Three bay pointed nave arcades on octagonal piers with moulded caps. Moulded, pointed chancel arch with marble attached respond shafts. Heavily moulded, pointed chancel arcades with clustered marble shafts. Pointed tower arch of two chamfered orders dying into responds. Nave and north aisle roofs have hammer-beams, arch-braced collars with king-posts and wind-braced purlins. The south aisle has a similar roof but with struts in place of a king-post and no wind-bracing. Chancel and south chapel have ribbed plastered roofs. Chancel is faced in marble. Marble pulpit with open, ogee-headed panels.C19 piscina. C13 circular font with roll-moulded base on cylindrical stem and moulded pedestal.

(RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p 79/80, no. 1).

Listing NGR: ST8355312750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103092
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/06968/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].