CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1110163
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110163.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 01:45:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Turnworth
National Grid Reference:
ST 82117 07490

Details

TURNWORTH ST 80 NW MAIN STREET (West side)

4/89 Church of St Mary 14-7-55 GV II*

Church, C15 west tower, remainder 1869 by G R Crickmay after J Hicks with some input by Thomas Hardy. Banded flint and rubble with tiled roof having stone copings. Plan: west tower; nave; chancel; north aisle and organ chamber, south porch. 2 stage west tower with octagonal north vice, diagonal buttresses and plain parapet with string bearing gargoyles. To the west is a 4-centred opening into which a C19 window has been inserted. Above is a 3-light C19 window with pointed head, Perpendicular tracery and a label with head-stops. The belfry windows are of 2 lights with pointed heads and returned labels. The main body of the church is windowed with chamfered lancets. The east chancel window is of 3 graduated, trefoiled lancets. The chancel has a pointed, chamfered south doorway. The porch has a pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders with a label terminating in headstops.

Interior: 3 bay arcade with pointed arches having flat soffits and keel mouldings to the arrises. The arcade is on round piers with moulded bases and carved capitals in the early French gothic style, said to have been designed by Thomas Hardy the author. The chancel to organ chamber arch is of a similar pattern. The chancel arch is again similar but with roll mouldings and springing from carved angel respond corbels. Restored C15, moulded, pointed tower arch with continuous outer chamfer and inner mouldings terminating in C19 carved respond corbels. Chamfered, 4-centred vice doorway. East chancel window has shafted rear-arch. Scissor-braced nave roof springing from oversized head corbels. Boarded waggon roof to chancel. Collar-truss roof to aisle. C19 shafted wooden pulpit. Elaborate c19 font with carved stone biblical scenes. Various c19 and C20 monuments, some reset including tablet with sarcophagus and weeper to Mark Davis, died 1832, by Simmonds of Blandford. c19 encaustic tiles; c19 and C20 glass. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.III, p.290 no.1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.430/1.) )

Listing NGR: ST8211707490

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103365
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 290
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 430-431

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08266/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Kingsland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].