This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1109458

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Carsington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 80019

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 25 53 CARSINGTON MAIN STREET 6/67 (North Side) 13.9.67 CHURCH OF ST MARGARET GV II*

Church. 1648 with C19 porch. Limestone ashlar with gritstone dressings. Slate roof behind embattled stone parapet, South porch of dressed gritstone with slate roof and stone coped gables, surmounted by cross. Rectangular single cell building of three bays with projecting south porch and north vestry at west end. South facade has shallow plinth, two angle and one intermediate 5-stepped buttress to parapet level. Two flat headed tripartite windows with cusping. Sundial set into wall inscribed 'Re-edified 1648'. Stringcourse above. Porch has 2-light ogee window and pointed moulded arch. Inner arched studded door. West gable wall has another stepped buttress, a 2-light square headed window with segment headed lights, bellcote at ridge. North wall similar to south without buttresses. East wall has 3-light insecting tracery window with shallow relieving arch above. Interior - nave and chancel in one. Wooden gallery at west end with three fluted pilasters between raised and fielded panels resting on moulded beam inscribed 'This loft was erected at the onely charge of S Philip Gell, Baronett. Anno Domini 1704 by consent: of the parish at a meeting in Carsington: for the use of his tenants in Hopton'. Nave has panelling to dado height. C19 king-post roof. Early C20 stained glass in the three eastern windows. Painted coat of arms dated 1706. Stone font with octagonal raised and fielded cover with finial.

Listing NGR: SK2524253429

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 25242 53429

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109458 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 06:13:05.

End of official listing