This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1108936

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Bolsover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tibshelf

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 79332

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 46 SW PARISH OF TIBSHELF HIGH STREET 9/163 (East Side) Church of St 8.7.66 John the Baptist II

Parish church. C15 tower, nave and chancel 1887-8. by Bodley and Garner, later C20 additions. Ashlar with slate and leaded roofs. Two stage west tower, 3 bay nave with north and south aisles, and two bay chancel with chapel and hall attached to north. Deep moulded plinth throughout. Tower has two tall stages with chamfered band between and full height stepped diagonal buttresses. Small ovolo moulded pointed west door with hoodmould below large 3-light pointed Perpendicular tracer led window, also with hoodmould. Small stair window to right. Bell stage has pointed 2- light louvred Perpendicular traceried openings in cavetto moulded surrounds with hoodmoulds, clockface below north and south openings. Eaves stringcourse with two gargoyles to north and south sides, embattled parapets with corner and central piers topped by steeple finials. North aisle has 3-light 4-centred arched window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould to west and two similar windows beyond pointed moulded doorcase to north side. Chapel beyond to east with similar 2-light window below projecting parapets on plain corbel table. Gableted buttresses between bays and to corners of chapel and aisle. Rendered gabled bay and C20 hall beyond again to east, of no special interest. East elevation of chancel has 3-light pointed window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould with block-like stops flanked by stepped angle buttresses. South elevation has two similar windows. South aisle has pointed windows with hoodmoulds and Perpendicular tracery, of 3-lights to east, and two of 2- lights and one of 3-lights to south. Stepped gableted buttresses to corners and between eastern windows. Between western windows is an inset stone sundial dated 1831. Gabled porch beyond to west has pointed moulded door with hoodmould below niche with statue, flanked by short diagonal buttresses. Coved eaves stringcourse, embattled parapets with triangular section pilasters with crocketed tops to each bay. West wall of aisle has flat headed 3-light window with cusped semi-circular headed lights, and stone above dated 1659. Moulded pointed inner south door with hoodmould. Interior has 4 bay north and south arcades, both with moulded pointed arches, those to south on octagonal piers with trefoil motifs at the top on each side and moulded capitals, those to north on quatrefoil piers with hollow chamfers between four attached shafts, also with moulded capitals. Tall continuous double chamfered tower arch and moudled pointed chancel arch on octagonal responds with moulded capitals, similar arch from north aisle to north chapel. 2 bay arcade between chancel and north chapel, low pointed arches on central octagonal pier, and carved corbel responds. Cusped braced roofs on carved corbels. Early C20 carved timber altar, altar rails, choir stalls and pulpit, c1867 marble font with circular bowl on stem of four colonnettes, below weighted carved font cover. Several wall monuments including stone plaque to William Head, d 1735 and brass plaque of c1683 to chancel, similar brass c1792 to William Hodgkinson near tower arch, stone plaque in north aisle of c1726 and fine late C17 stone monument with illegible inscription in moulded aedicule supported by winged skull and surmounted by segmental pediment with central angel's head. Late C19 stained glass to chancel.

Listing NGR: SK4406460872

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 44064 60872

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108936 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 06:10:32.

End of official listing