Church of St Dunstan


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Dunstan, Carriers Road


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099931.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 19:38:34.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Dunstan, Carriers Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 77689 36169


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/03/2019

TQ 7736 10/40 CRANBROOK CARRIERS ROAD (east side) Church of St Dunstan


GV I Parish Church. Late C13, C14, late C15, early C16, restored c1863 by William Slater and Ewan Christian. Dressed stone with plain tiled roofs, all hidden by crenellated parapets except chancel. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, north and south transeptal chapels and chancel.

Exterior: three-stage tower with crenellated parapet and south east octagonal stair turret. Stepped angle buttresses. Two-light cusped belfry openings under label moulds with two-centred arched openings on second stage and large C15 window above pointed arched west doorway heavily inset. Six bay nave and aisles all with large late C15 or early C16 windows, some quite heavily renewed. Two bay transeptal chapels, little more than extensions eastwards of aisles. Chancel of three bays with higher pitch to roof. Clock on south wall of town, c1700 with C20 figure of time (original in Town Museum), in open swan-neck pediment topping cartouche.

Interior: C15 tower arch. Six bay arcades, with compound plans of four shafts and four double waves, wide three-centred arches matching carrying clerestory with four-centred arched windows. Vertical shafts flanking clerestory windows terminate below in demi-angles over pairs of arcade and as demi-angles on roof corbels. Crown-post nave roof with cusped arches in tympana. C14 chancel arch.

Fittings: four wooden roof bosses, ('Green Men'), c1300. Early C15 altar rails. C18 pulpit, with sounding board, now a table. Font of 1852 in perpendicular. Also total immersion font of 1725 by south porch.

Glass: one window in north aisle with complete early C16 glazing. North and south chancel windows by O'Connor, c1858-59. Three windows in south aisle by C.E Kempe, 1902.

Monuments: brass of merchant c1520. Marble standing monument, for the Roberts family, 1740 by Joseph Pickford. Broker pediment and drops of oak-leaves. Baker family 1736. Obelisk. Thomas Webster, R.A d.1886 by Sir Wiliiam Hamo Thornycroft, 1889. Marble relief of recumbent artist.

Listing NGR: TQ7769036166


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08245/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeremy Hills. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].