CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1098461
Date first listed:
08-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1098461.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 15:14:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Kilmington
National Grid Reference:
SY 27307 97984

Details

SY 2797 KILMINGTON CHURCH ROAD 21/327 8.5.67 Church of St Giles

II*

Parish church. C15 west tower. Remainder rebuilt in 1862 and designed by T.T.Bury. West tower of two stages, north angle buttresses with set offs, battlements, finials and gargoyles. Two light bell openings. Four centred arch west window and door. Polygonal stair turret on south side. Nave, north and south aisles and chancel built in 1862 in perpendicular style, and with open timber framed south porch. Coursed stone with freestone dressings, and slate and tiled roofs. Interior: four bay north and south arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Four centred arch wagon roofs to nave and chancel. Circa C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels. Monuments in north aisle Thomas Southcott 1735 with Corinthian pilasters broken pediment containing cartouche flanked by angels. Mrs Agnes Tucker 1788 by Harris of London, with draped urn. Royal Arms of Charles II fixed to roof of north aisle. Hatchment over tower arch.

Listing NGR: SY2730797984

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88012
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14416/06
Rights: Copyright IoE John Boothroyd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].