CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1095925
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1095925.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:32:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Owslebury
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 51489 23394

Details

SU 52 SW OWSLEBURY OWSLEBURY

8/25 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

5.12.55 II*

Parish Church. C14 of 2 phases, chancel then nave, C15 transepts, C19 enlargement and restoration. Coursed flint part rendered and dressed stone, old plain tile roof. Plan of C14 chancel, nave and W tower. To N and S of nave, double gables of transept and aisle, and SW vestry. , Chancel early C14, rendered, E window C19 3-light with geometic tracery. N and S walls have C14 single uncusped lights with C19 heads and labels. Nave has central roof with 2 gables on each side. Each gable except SE has C19 3-light perp. window with hood. SE window 3-light with trefoiled lights below transom and trefoiled tracery above. In C20 vestry 2-light cinquefoiled window. Reset door, possibly from chapel at Marwell Manor (qv), in W end of nave, against N wall of tower, has pointed head of 2 moulded orders with lablel. In W end of vestry pointed arch. Tower rebuilt C17 has 2-light square headed trefoiled W window with panel above inscribed "TC,IF,1675". 2nd stage string on all faces of upper stages C19 cusped lights with oversized labels and above string course and crennelations. Inside, chancel has older pointed E rear arch with along bottom 4 stone panels of shields surrounded by tracery, and shouldered arches to side windows. In NE corner pointed tomb recess. On floor slab 1708 to Thomas Dacre. Monuments in NE 1731 to Lord George Carpenter, grey marble, panel on base framed with pilasters, entablature with open pediment with acroterion urns and coat of arms in centre; to S 1749 to George, 2nd Lord Carpenter, grey, white and yellow marble, obelisk behind bust flanked by urns on moulded and panelled base. Tablets to S 1753 to John Carpenter; 1798-1807 to Henry Rickets and Lord Rosehill; in gothic frames 1805 to Elizabeth Rickets, 1827 to Lady Carnegie. Altar rails C17, turned balusters and moulded handrail. Crown post roof with arched braces to collars. Chancel arch pointed, of 2 chamfed orders with C17 square capitals. Nave altered C19 when arcades taken out and replaced by iron columns, rebuilt C20 with steel wallplates and columns cased in panelled oak with in centre of arcades pair of columns in tapering cases. Arch braced rafter roofs. Around walls panelling made from ends of C18 box pews. Monument in NE 1835 to Countess of Northesk. Tower arch C19 with above repainted Royal Arms CR1681. Under tower donor board 1835 and retooled C15 octagonal font on column. VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 335. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 368-9.

Listing NGR: SU5143323309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145497
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 335
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 368-369

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01938/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.R. Coles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].