Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1095907.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 15:49:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Winchester (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SU 50716 27919



10/9 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 5.12.55 I

Parish Church. Circa 1120-40, C15, C17, restored C19. Rubble flint with stone and stone dressings rendered chancel and porch, old plain tile roof, weatherboarded bellcote. Norman church of chancel and taller nave with bellcote on W end and C19 S porch. Chancel E window 2-light square headed window altered C19, with large C19 quatrefoil above. N window is original narrow round-headed lancet and in N.W. corner low-set is small pointed opening. On S wall, opposite lancet, is reworked tall C13 lancet, and to W square-headed C15 cinquefoiled 2-light window with C19 mullion. High on E gable of nave pair of small C11 pointed windows, originally for bells. S wall has to E round headed window mostly C19, and C19 S porch of stone end wall with carved timber gable, flint sides, and inside plain C11 round-headed doorway. Opposite on N wall is similar doorway blocked with brick. Near N.E. corner C11 narrow round headed lancet with externally set leaded light, and high-up to NW is similar with below monument 1793 to Francis Lavington. W window is C15 2-light cinquefoiled with cinquefoil in head. Bellcote is hip-roofed with steep hip to nave roof W of it. 2 bells c1580 and 1628. Inside chancel widely splayed round-headed rear arches to E window and lancets. E wall offset from sill level except in corners. In N.E. corner small recess with pointed arch. Tablets: S of E window 1733 to Mary Stephens; above recess 1826 to Rev. William Gordon. In S.E. corner Norman pillar piscina with flat leaves. On floor 81 good C15 encaustic glazed tiles. Chancel arch round and plain except for rough zig-zag incised on chamfered imposts. On E side early C17 crude Gothic timber screen with pair of doors. Above birth E gable windows have imposts and are unequal. W window has pointed rear arch and others have widely splayed round-headed arches. Doorways are plain and S door is studded with strap hinges and timber lock. Font has small bowl on octagonal pillar, Gothic Revival, and stands on C14 coffin lid. Floor slabs. 1726 John Eaggar, 1728 Edward Hooker, 1741 Eleanor Harfert, 1752 Francis Crosswell, 1811 James Goodman. Monuments: S wall: 1677 - 1716 Edward Hooker and family; N wall 1699 - 1711 Henry Crosswell and wife, 1811 Dorethea Goodman. Roofs C15 paired common rafters with arched braces and ashlar pieces. Nave roof rebuilt to W to take bellcote with 2 tiebeams supported on corbelled posts.

Listing NGR: SU5074028402


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15224/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tim Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].