Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1095797.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:55:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 42781 25284


SU 4225 HURSLEY A3090 5/12/55 10/12 Church of All Saints


Parish church. C14 tower, rest rebuilt 1847-8 by J.P. Harrison for John Keble. Squared clunch and Burbage stone dressings, tower has stone and flint chequerwork, old plain tile roofs. Church rebuilt in decorated style with chancel having N and S chapels, that to S being shorter, nave with N and S aisles and N & S porches and surviving C15 tower. E end has chancel and N chapel of same length with central buttress between and diagonally set corner buttresses. 2 decorated 3-light windows. Shorter S chapel has similar X window and corner buttress and to S 2 2-light windows with SE pointed door encroaching on one, and simpler similar window on S wall of chancel and 2 on side wall of N chapel. Both aisles have E buttress, 3-light dec. window then 3 2-light similar windows with buttresses between. Then gabled porch with diagonal buttresses and, small 2-light openings on sides and pointed 2 order archway on 3 columns with hood mould. At W another 2-light dec. window. W end has 2-light windows in aisles and large square-sectioned tower with high plinth, clasping buttresses, except to SW there is stair turret. Perpendicular large W door with pointed head in square opening, quatrefoils in spandrels and hood mould. 3-light square- headed cinquefoiled window above. Strings between stages with rectangular lights in middle stage and on stair turret. Top stage rebuilt with decorated 2-light bell openings and parapet with quatrefoils. Inside perfect example of Ecclesiastical movement. Walls of ashlar. Arcades to both sides of chancel with timber screens inside. Unaltered C19 tiling, altar rails and choir stalls but C20 reredos and panelling either side, wrought iron cande- labra brackets. Roof of cusped arched braces. 2-order pointed chancel and chapel arches on clusters of 3 columns. Nave arcades pointed on clusters of 4 columns. Wrought iron corona-lucis under arches. Carved timber font on stone base with tall carved cover. Steep, narrow bayed arch braced roof with 2 bays to every arcade bays and angels at the bottom of posts, above clerestory dormers. All windows have stained glass by W Butterfield & W Wailes, glazier. Tower rear arch 2 plain outers, pointed. Under tower monuments: 1705 to Sir Charles Wyndham; 1731 to Elizabeth Cromwell, of sarcophagus in frame with pediment. Brasses: 1474 to John Bowland; 1559 to Mrs Sternhold. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; 1966; p299-300.

Listing NGR: SU4280025109


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09160/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Moult. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].