CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1095267
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1095267.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:29:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Micheldever
National Grid Reference:
SU 51269 39122

Details

SU 5139 MICHELDEVER CHURCH STREET Micheldever 12/17 5.12.55 Church of St Mary

GV II*

Parish church. Late C13, mid C16, nave 1808 by Dance, chancel 1880 by Colson, both for Baring family. Rubble flint with stone dressings, brick and render, plain tiled, roof. Plan of chancel, large octagonal nave, W bay of C13 nave with flanking vestries to N and S and C16 W tower. Chancel rendered brick with stone dressings, with perpendicular style E window.Nave plain brick with windows at clerestory level just pointed arch heads with plain leaded glass. N & S face have small 1880 recticulated windows. Nave bay has small windows to vestries. Tower late perpendicular, has a higher stair turret in SW corner, C19 4-centred head to W door. Over is square headed window of 3 uncusped lights with a transom. On all faces belfry windows which are similar but with 4-lights filled with pierced stonework with decoration and lettering. Inside tower E arch has chamfered order on half-octagonal responds from which the arch springs. C13 blind arches of W bay of nave hit tower wall either side of arch above their springing. W arch of nave may reused C13 chancel arch, pointed with half octagonal moulded capitals. Nave is plastered and has large panelled plaster star vaulting. In the diagonals shallow coved niches with pointed heads. Deeper niches to N and S with inserted stained glass reticulated windows. Chancel arch pointed arch of 1881. In chancel a group of 3 monuments by Flaxman made 1801-13 for the Barings. The centre one of a seated praying woman with Gothic surround and the side pieces are small with square Baroque panel. On other wall monument of 2 kneeling angels 1905 by Sir J E Boehm. Other furnishings 1880 with perpendicular-style font, and stone pulpit. 3 armorial shield boards on tower walls, 5 bells of 1703, 3 recast 1903 when 6th added. VCH; 1908; Vol III; p.393. Buildings of England, Pevsner; 1967; p.334.

Listing NGR: SU5127839316

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
144993
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1908), 393
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 334

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10196/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Cromwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].