CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1095184
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1095184.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:21:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Alresford
National Grid Reference:
SU 58813 33654

Details

SU 53 SE OLD ALRESFORD OLD ALRESFORD

8/40 Church of St Mary

II*

Church. Totally rebuilt 1753, 1769 and remodelled 1862 by John Colson. Brick with flint panels, Portland stone dressings, old plain tile roof with pointed ridge tiles. Nave and chancel built 1753, tower built 1769, south transept and N vestry to chancel added in 1862 remodelling. Tower unaltered with clasp- ing buttresses, stone string courses, W doorway with rustication of alternating sizes, on each face a pair of arched bell openings and a parapet stepped up at corners to ball finials. Nave 5 bays had arched C18 windows, now has C19 2- light perpendicular window, as are other windows, and above C19 offset and toothed cornice. Inside plastered, arched braced truss against tower wall, and old purlins with wind braces in chancel roof. Rest of roof C19 king post truss, and C19 arches at crossing. Large monument on N nave wall 1757 by Sir Henry Cheere to Jane wife of, with added plaque 1792 to, Admiral Lord Rodney. White, pink, orange and black marble, an inscription panel with scroll and garland carvings around. Above 2 seated allegorical figures with hook and anchor on ledge on which inscribed sarcophagus stands. Bust in circular recess at top and above it large broken pediment. In chancel oval monument 1760 to Mrs Davenport with carving of dog guarding keys and monument 1823 by William Behnes to Esther North. In Nave oak plaque to Mary Sumner wife of rector and founder of Mother's Union 1876.

Listing NGR: SU5876034222

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145200
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/09811/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Micaela Basford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].