CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1094881
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1094881.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 11:15:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Hale
National Park:
NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference:
SU 17842 18655

Details

HALE HALE PARK SU 11 NE 6/70 Church of St Mary 30.9.64 GV I

Parish church. Of medieval origins, rebuilt early C17 and early C18 by T Archer, reroofed C19. Originally rubble flint and stone, first encased in coursed iron- stone, then ends rebuilt in Portland stone and similar dressings added, old plain tile roof. Original church, chancel and nave, encased early C17, then transepts added early C18 to form cruciform church, reroofed C19 with bellcote on north transept. Chancel has to E end ashlar facade of central arched window with large keystone end imposts which carry across to corner pilasters. Below it tall segmental-headed blind opening, above it rectangular similar. Building has Doric corner pilasters. Plain entablature and C19 tall plastered gable with 2-light round headed tracery. At junction with transepts similar pilasters. End of transepts have central doorways of moulded pilasters for jambs, supporting moulded capitals to moulded arch with oversized keystone, and rising outside arch each side volute like console, over moulded hood and lunette window. To north transept double door and fanlight, to south blind opening. Each side high-set rectangular window. Similar pilasters and gable. Above north transept square timber bellcote with hipped lead roof and bell. Pilasters at junction with nave. On sides of nave rectangular windows with C19 2-light roundheaded tracery. West end similar to transepts but plainer. Inside in chancel stained glass by Mayer of Munich. In south transept monuments: 1743 to T Archer by P Scheemakers, black, grey and white marble, effigy of Archer reclining on sarcophagus, mounted on inscribed plinth, women each side: 1768 to H Archer, by J Wilson, of woman standing by urn on high plinth with portrait medallion. On nave floor brass, 1600 to Sir J Penruddock. On wall monument 1796 to J May designed by J Wyatt, carved by R Westmacott, slender urn on square base with ram's heads at corners. Round walls stone benches. C19 boarded roof and furnishings. At west is medieval circular font on square base with early C17 carved band. VCH; Vol 4; 1911; p578. Buildings of England; Pevsner; 1966; p263-4.

Listing NGR: SU1794718577

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
144004
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 578
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 263-4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15862/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Lownds. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].