CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1094732
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1094732.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:40:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Minstead
National Park:
NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference:
SU 28105 10878

Details

SU 21 SE MINSTEAD CHURCH LANE

4/24 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 8.10.59 GV I

Parish church. Early C13, 1683 porch, 1774 tower, late C18 large south transeptual extension, early C19 north family pew room and schoolroom against porch, and C19 vestry. Rubble stone roughcast, additions brick with stone, stone dressings, part rendered with incised masonry lines, old plain tile roofs. Plan of C13 chancel, C19 south vestry and north gabled addition for family pew; nave has similar north-east addition for schoolroom against north porch, on south large, long, gabled transeptual addition of c1800, and to west 1774 tower. East end of nave has early C19 Gothic double lancet east window. South vestry. North gabled projection with off-centre timber pointed window. Nave has to north- east gabled larger projection with C18 domestic 3-light segmental-head window, outshot on west side down to north porch. Gable has heavy frame to rounded doorway, over is carved 'REWSCW 1683'. Inside c1200 Transitional north door of 2 continuous orders and label on abaci. To west is staircase to schoolroom. Beside porch is high-set 2-light window. On roof to east gabled dormer and similar higher-up to west. On south, large transeptual room has 3-light windows and lower roof. To west nave has squareheaded 3-light trefoiled window, and 2-light window over. Skylight on roof. Square-plan tower has north door under semicircular fanlight with stone key and string at springing that runs right round. In 2nd stage roundheaded openings on each face with stone keys. On each face at top semicircular louvred opening. Cornice and low parapet, on top fleche with weathervane. Inside chancel has C18 panelling and prayer boards to east. To north, panelling in front of family pew and remains of lancet. Barrel-vaulted roof. Early C13 2-chamfered order chancel arch on 3 engaged shafts, rebuilt. Under 3 steps down, beside remains of C15 screen. Nave has in south east 3-decker pulpit under hexagonal canopy, part C17. To north high set archway into schoolroom. To south wall cut away, with only central cast-iron post to lintel on walls, monuments to Comptons. To west early C18 panelled gallery and above it early C19 upper gallery. On front bequest boards of 1667 and 1814. Behind remains of C13 tower arch ( 3 bells dated 1604). Below pulpit is c1200 Purbeck font of square bowl with tapering sides. On sides carvings of Christ, opposite Agnus Dei, on other sides eagles and lions. Most pews are C17 with moulded top-rails. Good example of church not restored by Victorians with pre-tracterian layout. VCH; Vol IV; 1911; p638.

Listing NGR: SU2593709486

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
144405
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 638

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/02983/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Goodall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].