CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1094384
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ROMSEY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1094384.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Aug-2020 at 11:37:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ROMSEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Copythorne
National Park:
NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference:
SU 30722 14652

Details

COPYTHORNE ROMSEY ROAD SU 31 SW 4/1 Church of St Mary

GV II

Parish church. 1834 by T Benham and 1891 by Butterfield. Walls of red brickwork in English bond with stone dressings, stepped buttresses (diagonal at corners),tall bands, window heads, eave fascia. Slate roofs. Nave of three bays with very narrow aisles, western tower incorporating the entrance lobby and west door, with taller chancel added at the second date. Coupled lancets, the eastern bay (original east end) having triple lancets beneath two lancets beneath two quatrefoils, two lancets to each wall of the chancel, one east end with higher quatrefoil window. Tower of three stages, with pointed and chamfered arches within hoodmoulds, a crenellated parapet and plain (cemented) corner pinnacles. Plain interior with slender columns, the arcading being opening timber framing, repeated at a higher level across the chancel. The lower chancel walls are panelled. The pulpit and lectern are on the line of the first step, half way related to the original layout. There is an octagonal font of C15 style. A western gallery is supported on slender columns. A Royal Coat of Arms (1834?) hangs on the north wall.

Listing NGR: SU3061014677

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
143371
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01976/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Goodall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].