CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1094090
Date first listed:
31-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1094090.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:37:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
East Hampshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Bentley
National Grid Reference:
SU 78408 44694

Details

SU 74 SE BENTLEY CHURCH LANE

4/3 Church of St. Mary

31/07/63 II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C15, with substantial restoration, including nave arcade aisles, of 1890, by Henry Woodyer. Flint walls and tiled roof. Norman chancel with north chapel (C12) and south chapel (C13), nave of 3 bays, with aisles and arcade added 1890, west tower (C1200 and C18), and south porch. The exterior is mostly restored, with 3 parallel roofs (lower at the east end), and walls of flint with stone dressings. There are old lancets to the chapels and 2 Perpendicular windows to the south aisle (made up of old fragments from the west windows of the chapels), stepped buttresses at most corners. The tower is roughcast (on stonework) in its lower part, with massive diagonal buttresses, the upper stage being of brickwork (C18) with some diaper patterns, and a crenellated parapet. Inside, the nave is Victorian, and contains a Norman Purbeck arcaded font on a Victorian Early English base. The Tower arch is c1200. The arcade on the north side of the chancel has been raised, the original round columns having scalloped caps; above are 3 C15 clerestory windows. The chancel south side has C15 round columns with moulded caps. These are piscinas in the chancel and chapels (of C12, C13, and C14), and the east end roof has old timbers. Jacobean communion rail.



Listing NGR: SP7396140752

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
142065
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/03070/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Wheeler. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].