CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1093882
Date first listed:
30-Apr-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093882.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:08:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Monxton
National Grid Reference:
SU 31287 44572

Details

3144 MONXTON MONXTON

9/8 Church of St Mary II*

Parish church. Of Norman origin, rebuilt 1854 by Woodyer. Flint and tile. Aisleless nave and chancel, with vestry north of the chancel, and a south porch. Plain roof, cast-iron rainwater- leads dated 1852. At the west end is a belfry, with a small broach spire and bell-stage clad in shingles, supported on the west wall and 2 massive stepped buttresses. Flint walls with stone dressings: buttresses at the east end of the nave, cill band round the chancel: windows are coupled lights with plate tracery, some cusped lancets, and a traceried 3-light east window. The porch is timber-framed on a low base wall, with cusped openings above panels, and ornamental gabled framework. The interior is entirely Victorian, except for the responds (c 1200) supporting the chancel arch. On the north side of the nave, at its east end, are 2 small wall-brasses, of 1599 and 1662.

Listing NGR: SU3119844509

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140538
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16393/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Matthews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].