Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093875.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 13:45:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Test Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 30894 32914


BROUGHTON HIGH STREET (east side) SU 3032 11/20 Church of St Mary the 29/5/57 Virgin (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary) GV II*

Parish church. C12 origins, c1200 N aisle, early C13 S aisle and nave lengthened. C15 tower and nave clerestory, C17 rebuilt to nave and chancel, 1853 and 1901 restoration. Rubble flint, brick repairs, stone and brick dressings, old plain tile roof. Plan of C12 church, chancel rebuilt C17, C19 N vestry, nave with C13 W bay, C15 clerestory, c1300 S aisle with porch rebuilt 1921. C13 N aisle with C19 porch, and C15 W tower, remodelled C19. E end of chancel rebuilt C19 has stepped 3-light trefoiled window recessed under pointed arch. Roof overhangs supported on timber corbels. S side has 2 C17 2-light squareheaded windows, W one taller and low set. To N is C19 gabled vestry with to W of it C19 2-light window. Tile hung exposed E gable of nave. Clerestory has on N to E 2 C15 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled window, and to W C19 copy and C17 squareheaded 2-light roundheaded window. On S 3 C19 2-light trefoiled window and similar C17 window at W. S aisle has at E end C19 2-light trefoiled window, C17 SE buttress. On S to E and W similar window and buttress. To W of centre C16 gabled porch with C20 S face of diagonal buttresses and perpendicular doorway with C18 door. In W end small C13 2-light trefoiled window with quatrefoil in head. N aisle has C13 2-light trefoiled window in E end, NE buttresses and central N C19 gabled brick porch. Each side C17 buttress and square headed 2-light trefoiled window. NW buttress and small C13 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled W window. W bay of nave has each side C13 slightly pointed lancet and clasps sides of tower. Tower has to W stepped diagonal buttresses to end stage C19 rendered brick battlemented top stage. To S low set roundheaded door. To W reset C13 W door of 3 moulded orders, outer with dog-tooth between beaded rolls, inner chamfered,outer 2 on shafts with moulded capitals. On each side reset C15 niches, above single trefoiled light. Inside chancel early C19 vaults under sanctuary. Timber lintels to S windows. C19 scissor truss roof. Monuments: to S 1647 Christopher Hearst, inscribed slate in stone frame with Dutch gable and 3 ball finials; to N 1830 to Rev. Marmaduke Searly, beside brass 1625 to Thomas Dowse and wife. Under SE window C15 pillar piscina of octagonal bowl and roses on sides, below octagonal shaft and capital with carved grotesques. On NW sill stone bowl. C19 corbelled pointed chancel arch. Nave has to N c1200 3 bay pointed arcade on round piers with multi-calloped capitals. Similar S arcade with plain capitals. Clerestory has timber lintels. Roof C19 crown post keeping earlier tie beams and crownposts, rest plastered. W bay has widely splayed rear arches and houses tall organ. At E floor slabs; 1719 to Henry Grey; 1754 to Rev. Nathaniel Ware; 1768 to Mary Hendow; 1779 to John and Mary Hattatt. In NW tablet 1799 to Jane Hattat. S aisle has chamfered rear arch to door and W window. Tablets: 1763 to John Merch; 1825 to Elizabeth Hattatt. Above door early C19 benefactors board. Chamfered pointed rear arches to N aisle windows. C15 aisle purlin roofs. Pews C19 rebuilt from C17 pews with various Cl7 dates. VCH: Vol.4: 1911; p496-7.

Listing NGR: SU3081033021


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 496-7


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09170/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Austin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].