Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093867.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:00:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Test Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 33607 30933


BOSSINGTON BOSSINGTON SU 33 SW 4/47 Church of St.James 29/5/57 II Parish church. 1839 possibly by John Davies. Coursed flint, stone dressings, old stone tiled roof. Plan of small chancel and nave with NE vestry/transept and S porch. E end of chancel has 3-light lancet windows, taller centre lancet. String below with small lancet under. Clasping buttresses on corners and kneelered gable with cross on top of roof. Lancet on sides. Gable wall to E end of nave with gabled stone bellcote on. On S wall triple lancet window. To W, S gabled porch with pointed 2 chamfered order arch and inside pointed S door. To N vestry the size of chancel facing N with kneelered gable with weathervane on, diagonal buttresses and 3-light pointed lancet window to N. Pointed 2 order door to E. Strip pilaster on W wall and to W on nave wall. W end has clasping buttresses, kneelered gable and 3-light lancet window with tiny lancet in gable. Inside the chancel E window has nook shafts supporting rear arches. Lancets to sides have continuous keel mouldings. 2 steps in chancel with lower E floor of marble. Furnishings C19, except for C17 altar table and stools. 2 chamfered order pointed chancel arch. Nave and vestry/ transept have nook shafts to rear arches. Roof has central raised base cruck on corbels! Furnishings C19 good copies of medieval stalls and octagonal baluster font. On floor to E 3 reset headstones; 1657 to Howard Kelsey; 1682 to John Kelsey; 1682 to John Kelsey. Raised early C19 Gothic pew at W and 2 similar in raised vestry/transept. High on W wall C18 Royal Coat of Arms.

Listing NGR: SU3276829675


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12777/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Washington. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].