CHURCH OF ST WINFRED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1093769
Date first listed:
29-May-1957
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WINFRED

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093769.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:13:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WINFRED

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
East Dean
National Grid Reference:
SU 27341 26746

Details

EAST DEAN EAST DEAN SU 22 NE 3/63 Church of St Winfred (formerly listed as 29.5.57 Church of St Mary)

II*

Parish Church. C12/13 nave and chancel, much repaired C18. Rendered rubble stone and flint, stone dressings of dark and light limestone, old plain tile roof, Small chancel, and nave with S porch and W bellcote. E end of chancel has C13 pointed and rebated lancet. N side has reset C12 roundheaded lancet, and S side has C18 timber 2-light leaded casement. E nave gable rebuilt in flint above stone offset. S side has at E 3-light, in centre 2-light and W of centre single light C18 timber, leaded casement with each side full height brick panel bounded by header pilasters. In centre C18 gabled brick porch with 4-Panel door and to W of centre similar brick panel with brick buttress near W. In W end C18 timber 3-light leaded casement and in gable rebuilt in brick round window with radiating leaded lights. On roof small square section bellcote, prob C17 with 3 trefoiled bell openings on each side and hipped roof. Inside chancel splayed rear arch to E window, C20 splayed rear arch to N window. Plastered arched brace roof, C18, with tall ashlar pieces, moulded wallplates and at each end cambered tiebeams. C19 chamfered segmental head chancel arch. Nave has timber lintels to windows. To S of chancel arch top of blocked C13 pointed arch, high set, possible reredos over altar, and on S wall traces of wallpainting below remains, badly hacked, of piscina and bowl. N doorway of heavy timber carved into arch and C17 planked with strap hinges. Queenpost roof, C18, plastered except for tiebeam and posts. At W small gallery of C17 and C18 on posts against walls and 2 central posts, on these Cl7 lamp-holders containing cannon balls. Above panelling and to rear of gallery on W wall C17 panelling. Bellcote over contains bell said to be medieval. Monuments on S in centre 1831 to Henry Newman; on N to W 1804 to William Newman, 1808 to Ally Radcliffe, 1834 to Elizabeth Newman. By door C18 front of small octagonal bowl with traceried sides on octagonal stem.

Listing NGR: SU2704526716

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140870
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08446/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Linda Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].