Church of St Boniface

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1093670
Date first listed:
29-May-1957
Statutory Address:
Church of St Boniface, Church Lane

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093670.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:08:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Boniface, Church Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Nursling and Rownhams
National Grid Reference:
SU 35933 16473

Details

SU 31 NE 7/13

NURSLING AND ROWNHAMS CHURCH LANE Church of St Boniface

29.5.57

GV II* Parish church. Of Saxon origin, mainly C14, with a C13 transept, restored by G.E Street 1881. Aisless nave and chancel, south transept, south porch beneath tower. Rubble stone walls, coupled C14 windows with Decorated tracery, west window of three lights with Reticulated tracery and three light cusped C15 window to the transept. Tile roof; the tower above eaves level is hung with shingles, and has a shingled broach spire.

Interior: the eastern part of the chancel is Victorian: the remainder of the interior is plain but there are many wall monuments of the early C19. Elizabethan pulpit, mid C19 Perpendicular octagonal font. The transept has a western arch, half blocked by the east end of the nave wall, and contains interesting monuments; an elaborate Jacobean/classical tomb with male and female recumbent figures, of Richard (1613) and Maria (1622) Mille. Opposite is a classical monument to Thomas Knollys 1751; there is a stone slab with inset brasses to Thomas Mundy 1623, and some medieval tiles let into the wall. On the west wall of the nave is a hatchment, and a Royal Coat of Arms of 1782 (G.R.).

Listing NGR: SU3589016436

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
141137
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01915/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Tyrone M. McDonald. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].