CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1093440
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093440.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:04:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Bullington
National Grid Reference:
SU 45485 41228

Details

5240

SU 44 SE BULLINGTON LOWER BULLINGTON 20-12-60 5/7 Church of St. Michael

II*

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, early C19, and restoration of 1871. Single cell, of Norman nave and a chancel of circa 1220, with a western tower of the third period; a north vestry, south porch, and some restoration details are of 1871. Flint walls with stone-dressings; 2 small Norman windows at the west end of the nave, a lancet on the southside of the chancel and a Norman doorway (blocked) on the north side; the restoration work includes triple lancets at the east end, 2 small 'Perpendicular' windows at the south side of the nave, a priest's door, and windows and door of the vestry. The tower is of red brickwork with flint panels, corner flat buttresses, the top of the brickwork finishing as a dentil eaves to the pyramid roof; small 'Geometrical' belfry windows, and a larger west window. Single tiled roof, extending over the outshots (vestry and heating chamber) on the north side. The south porch has a tile and gabled roof above an open timber framework, resting on a base wall. Inside, the details are all of the last period, but there are 4 wall monuments of the period 1800 to 1830, and a floorslab of 1727: the tower arch is a plan semi-circle above impost bands.

Listing NGR: SP3767439287

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
139571
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/05358/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bruce S. Purvis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].