CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1093280
Date first listed:
21-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, FURZEDOWN LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093280.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 15:46:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, FURZEDOWN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Amport
National Grid Reference:
SU 29945 44202

Details

SU 2944 AMPORT FURZEDOWN LANE

8/9 Church of St. Mary

II* 21.12.60 Parish church. c1320, restoration of 1866 by Slater & Carpenter. Aisleless cruciform church with a central tower; the north transept and nave were virtually rebuilt in 1866 when the north vestry (appearing as a smaller north transept from the chancel), organ aisle and north porch were built new, and the nave extended by one bay to accommodate the font. The building is rendered, with flint walls for the work of 1866, with stone dressings, the roof being tiled. The windows are (except for the vestry) coupled lights with cusped heads supporting flamboyant roundels or ogee shaped trefoils (reproduced in the nave), with a 3 light east window and a high circular window in the west gable. The tower has a stone parapet, with a coved base decorated with heads, and small coupled lights to the bell stage; there are diagonal buttresses to the east wall. Within, the pointed and chamfered arches of the crossing are prominent, the nave and transepts of plain (restoration) appearance; the chancel is enriched by the traceried windows, a piscina, stepped sedilia of 3 ogee arches, and a floorcovered by tomb slabs (including a finely- lettered group of 5 in the sanctuary, of late C17 early C18). There are several wall monuments in the chancel with small slate slabs of 1653 and 1636, and larger classical monuments of 1723, 1753 and 1779, and in the north transept a classical monument of 1807. The font is an elaborate 'Perpendicular' design of 1865 with a wood cover. A particular treasure (in a glazed frame) is a C14 alabaster carving (found at nearby East Cholderton) of a St. John's Head, with an ornamental canopy and head flanked by the small figures of St. Margaret, St. Katherine, St. Peter, S. William of York, with a Resurrection at the base.

Listing NGR: SU2969644083

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140013
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10101/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alec Howard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].