CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1093222
Date first listed:
21-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093222.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:48:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Kimpton
National Grid Reference:
SU 28114 46625

Details

SU 2846 KIMPTON KIMPTON

7/17 Church of St. Peter & St. Paul 21.12.60 I Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18, 1837, restorations of 1894 and 1896. Cruciform church with a south aisle to the nave, south porch, and western tower. Flint & stone rubble, flint and brick, and a tile roof. Single cell nave and chancel of c1220 with lancets in the chancel, and blocked north door in the nave; transepts of the C14 (the north earlier) with Decorated traceried windows and ogee cusped openings (2 squints). C14 arcade of 3 bays with a narrow south aisle, with wall restored in the C18 (exterior plaque dated 1702) with 2 small windows. Tile roof of continuous ridge, slightly-lower transept roof, low eaves to the south aisle. Walls of flint and stone rubble with stone dressings, cement render to the chancel which has clasped buttresses to the middle height at the eastern corners. The tower of 1837 is of 2 main stages, with a parapet with central gablets to each face, flat buttresses with shallow steps, coupled lancets to the bell stage and a larger lancet west window: the features of the walling are expressed in red brick work with complex intermediate patterns of flush flint panelling. Windows are a mixture of lancets, coupled lights with reticulate trace , small lights of ogee form with cusps, and 2 perpendicular windows (in the nave . Within, there is a Gothic cusped tomb recess in the north wall of the chancel near the altar, and a similar recess (altered by the insertion of a window) in the south wall of the south transept; there are piscinas to the chancel and south transept. The floor of the chancel has many monumental slabs from the late 17th to the early C19, and there are several wall monuments within the same date range. The north wall of the north transept (the Shoddesdon Chapel) has a small altar tomb (with inlays for brasses now gone) partly buried in the wall, and above is a late-Gothic stone frame with decorated head and panelled sides, enclosing 3 brasses (of Robert Thornborough and his 2 wives) and an inscription brass dated 1522. The north wall of the nave contains a painted board of the Royal Coat of Arms (of George III 1812) and the west end of the aisle has a Victorian font. The gable to the south porch has diagonal boarding above a brick face.

Listing NGR: SU2821446647

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140080
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10190/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].