CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1093181
Date first listed:
29-May-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, A3057
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, LECKFORD LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093181.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:39:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, A3057
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, LECKFORD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Leckford
National Grid Reference:
SU 37390 37639

Details

SU 37 37 LECKFORD LECKFORD LANE A3057

14/6 Church of St Nicholas 29.5.57 GV II*

Parish church. C13 core largely rebuilt C16, restored C19 and early C20. Flint with stone dressings and much brick repair, mostly rendered, old plain tile roof. Plan of nave with chancel set off centre to S, with S wall continuous, and in NE early C20 organ chamber in outshot, W bellcote. E end of chancel has plinth, C18 diagonal-set brick buttresses and C16 squareheaded 3-light cinquefoiled window. On NE door to outshot, on S high plinth and to W of centre reset C13 2-centred 2-order doorway, above C16 squareheaded 2-light cinquefoiled window. C18 buttress at SE of nave with 2 C17 headstones built in. In centre C19 gabled carved timber porch on brick plinth and inside C15 2-centred door of 2 continuously moulded orders. Buttress to E and at W end and each side C16 squareheaded 2-light cinquefoiled window. N wall of nave has diagonal E buttress, buttress in centre and W end, and near each end C16 squareheaded 2-light windows with hood-moulds. W of centre C13 2-centred door blocked with brick. W end has 2 tall buttresses and C15 2-light window. On roof at W square weatherboarded bellcote, 3 louvred openings on each face, with flat roof. Inside chancel C16 slightly hollow chamfered rear arches. In SE is an image corbel. Medieval altar stone on C20 stone columns, with small continental reredos, installed C20. Reset C17 altar rails with turned balusters, and moulded rails. On N and S walls C16 Italian stalls, 7 each side, back panels having fluted Doric pilasters and frieze of cherubs heads, installed C20 with copies of altar rails in front. In SW reading desk incorporating parts of C15 screen. King post roof. C16 chancel arch of 2 continuously moulded orders of ogee and hollow chamfer. In N respond is narrow trefoiled niche and to N on E nave wall a larger similar niche, perhaps over an additional altar, due to unusual plan. Windows except W have moulded 4-centre rear arches on shafts. In SE C17 pulpit with tester over having finials and hanging arches. W bay has 2 large posts to bellcote. In centre C13 square Purbeck font with blind arcading, on large column on moulded base. Along sides C16 pews, rest C19. Floor slabs: 1707 to John Smith, 1787 to Henry King. On N wall memorial 1630 to Sir John Thornburgh and on W wall monument 1827 to Henry King. Plastered Cl6 roof with tiebeams. C16 and C17 bells. VCH; 1911; Vol 4 p448-9.

Listing NGR: SU3730137592

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140184
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 448-449

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07671/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Ayres. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].