Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093127.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:56:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Test Valley (District Authority)
Over Wallop
National Grid Reference:
SU 28426 38241


SU 2838 OVER WALLOP STATION ROAD (south side) 8/32 CHURCH OF ST PETER 29.5.57 II* Church. C12 nave with C13 E part of nave and aisles, C15 clerestory, chancel and tower rebuilt by J L Pearson 1866, rest restored 1875. Flint with brick and stone dressing, old plain tile roof. Plan of chancel with S W organ chamber, clerestoried nave with low aisles, S W porch and W tower. C19 chancel has 3 E lancets with bands of dressed stone and brick in flint either side. Buttresses to corners and 2 below window. On sides 2-light, with round light in head, windows. To S outshot organ chamber. Tall nave with clerestory and at E gable wall on S side stepping down to E end of aisle. In clerestory to N 2 and to S 3 C15 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled windows. In N aisle at E early C14 3-light trefoiled window with tracery in head and hood mould with stops, at W round headed door restored of C12 origin, and to N 3 C15 square headed 3-light window cinquefoiled windows. On S aisle in centre similar window at E and W restored C14 square headed 2 or 3-light trefoiled windows. Towards W C19 gabled porch with diagonal buttresses and inside late C12 roundheaded doorway with keel roll. To W C19 lancet. W tower has plinth, NE stair tower to 2nd stage. Tall lancet to W and small round headed lancet on N,W & S faces on 2nd stage. C19 top stage of 2 louvred bell openings on each face. Saddle back roof. Inside chancel E lancets have rear arches of clusters of columns supporting 2 order arches. Reredos of painted scenes with green marble columns between supporting moulded cornice. In SE corner reset C13 piscina with shelf, and C19 sedilia. Iron altar rail and free-standing brass candelabra. Pointed barrel vaulted roof. Tall chancel arch with foliage capitals and banded shafts. Under on stone plinth light wrought screen linked at N to similar pulpit on stone base. Nave has 4 bay arcades. To N E bays C13 rebuilt C19 of 2 chamfered orders W bays C12 round arches of 2 square and round orders, chamfered label and hollow fluted capitals on round columns. 5 arcade remodelled C19 pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders on circular moulded capitals and columns, but square responds, originally C13. C19 king post roof. To S aisle at E C14 2-light trefoiled window with quatrefoil in head. In nave C15 octagonal font with traceried panels on bowl and shaft and C18 cover. Pointed 2 ordered tower arch with chamfered imposts. Under tower C18 benefactors board. Memorials 1760 to Mr Joshua Brown john, 1795 to ' Joshua Brownjohn, 1802 to John Brown john. Bells C17 and C18 VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 533-4. Pevsner; 1966; p368.

Listing NGR: SU2847838345


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 533-534
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 368


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/11029/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Easton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].